Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcmontgomery, Feb 21, 2016.

1. dcmontgomery macrumors newbie

dcmontgomery

Long time lurker, first time poster in the Macbook Pro forum. Here is my situation...

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro. Just replaced the hard drive with an SSD from OWC and maxed out the RAM. My occupation is photography and it's a split between weddings and editorial work with deadlines. The deadline part is where fast processing is a must.

My computer has become painfully slow. Even Chrome with multiple tabs bogs down. I recently upgraded to El Capitan and noticed it had slowed down considerably after that upgrade. All the while, I've been monitoring MacRumors and this forum about the impending (maybe) MacBook Pro updates. In light of my now painfully slow computer and the fact I need to have a laptop that is much faster, my question is will there be much of a performance difference between the Mid 2015 MacBook Pros and what's expected to be released?

My primary needs will be photo and video processing. Do you think it's worth waiting for the new ones if I can find a way to do that or jumping at some of the deals they have now on the mid 2015 laptops? Thanks in advance!

2. r6mile macrumors 6502

Your computer shouldn't be that slow, especially if you have an SSD and more RAM. Have you tried a clean install of OS X? This can make quite a big difference sometimes.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

There's no reason that computer should be slow, especially with maxed RAM and a SSD. Something's wrong with your machine.