Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesM, Jan 14, 2010.

1. JamesM macrumors regular

I'm currently using a MBP 2.33Ghz with 3gb of ram.

What I want to know is how much faster are the latest machines, I find Aperture slow to load images and Photoshop can be slow to apply filters at times.

I'll be waiting for the announcement but how does my machine compare to the current fastest MBP's?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I compared my 2.2GHz MBP to the 2.53, I found it to be around 15% faster. Some things were faster then others, but over all system performance increased around 15%.

The newer MBPs (unibody MBPs and beyond) have DDR3 ram, faster FSB, superior GPU and of course a faster CPU.

Whether that's enough for you to justify purchase a new machine, is really a personal decision.

Also, there's no way to determine how fast the unannounced machines will be or when they will be announced.

3. JamesM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, sounds promising then.

I know its not possible to know until the release but I now have a better idea of what to expect.

Its annoying that I can't fit more than 3gb of ram in mine which would've improved things some what. I have had it 3 years though so it will be nice to get a new machine.

4. briancl macrumors newbie

I have the same system as you James. I will be upgrading to the 2.66ghz i7 MBP as soon as possible. I use VMware a lot, so I need the extra RAM and CPU horsepower.

As for an apple-to-apple comparison, I would say our 2.33ghz will see a 50% increase in performance in situations where the CPU or RAM are currently limiting.

5. JamesM thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear!

Just hope they don't get silly with the price.