Worth the wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, May 10, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

First of all I'd like to say hello since this is my first time posting but anyways let's get down to business.

I have an HP laptop which I've been using for a while now but I'm already getting sick of it and I have decided to go for a macbook pro (after lots of research). I wanted to purchase one as soon as possible until i saw that the macbook pro line will get a huge redesign update. I don't what that exactly means but I'm guessing the new ones would be much better? Please explain :p. I also heard that their going to be released late 2011/ early 2012.

Do you guys think I should just wait for the new line of MBPs to release or just buy one now? I'm going off to uni in september btw, so I will most probably need a reliable laptop.

Thank you :D

2. mmduluth macrumors regular

Depends on how much weight you put in to rumors. No one KNOWS that there is going to be a redesign. It's all speculation. And it probably won't happen until sometime in Q1 2012. If you want to wait and see what happens then you should, but if you need it now or before you start school then I say you go ahead and get it. It's really all up to you.

3. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

the macbooks were refreshed pretty recently you would have to wait about a year for the new one and in a year you will be one year away from the next one... and you can go on like that forever.. if you need a new computer the current macbook pro lineup is a great purchase.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The new MBP's were just released not too long ago. I wouldn't expect a spec bump for quite some time and a redesign not until early next year. That is quite the wait...don't think it's worth it. The new MBP's are very capable and use the latest Intel chips. Just buy now.

5. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Well looking at the current line up, do you think there will be a huge leap in terms of hardware or is it just the shape and design which will change? I find the current model really beautiful with all honesty.

I know its a rumor but you never know :)

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Ivy Bridge is going to be a die shrink of Sandy Bridge so I don't think hardware wise it will be anything revolutionary. Could be a redesign though, no one knows.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

But aren't the Ivy Bridge CPU's going to use this new fancy 3D chip design technology? Which Intel are saying will increase performance?

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Agreed.

Ivy Bridge's use of tri-gate technology MIGHT yield a few cool things, but all in all the biggest leaps in performance come out every 2~3 years.

As for the OP, all I know is that my 2011 17" MBP performs MUCH faster (and runs cooler under maximum load) than the 2009 17" MBP it replaced. :) If I had a 2010 MBP, I would not have upgraded.

I'd say that if you need it now, get it now. Something new always comes along.

9. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I guess its not really worth waiting 6 - 10 months for something not so extraordinary.

Thanks guys :)

10. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

There's nothing wrong with waiting if you don't need a new computer. I'm all for getting the most for your money. But in all honesty, if you need a computer there is no reason to wait 10 months because something new is coming out. 10 months is an eternity in technology time and there will be something else 10 months after that...and after that...and after that...etc.