Worth the wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbook Pro., Mar 27, 2012.

1. Macbook Pro. macrumors newbie

I currently need a new computer, and can wait a couple weeks, but not a couple months. I don't play any games whatsoever, and do not do any graphic work or anything either. All I use my computer for is taking notes in class, completing assignments, browsing ESPN, Facebook, Twitter, Google, downloading music, etc. If I were to wait for the newest Macbook with Ivy Bridge and everything, do you guys all think it would be a remarkable upgrade over the latest Macbook Pro that is out right now, considering what I will be using the computer for?

Thanks in advance for any input. It is much appreciated.

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Honestly, for what you do the MacBook Air may be a better match if you want the serious portability. If you are going to be carrying the thing everywhere and want a small package with minimal weight, the MBA is a better match than a MBP.

If you aren't in a hurry, wait till mid-late April or May and see what comes out. The current MacBooks are still among the fastest computers on the market and you only need so much computing power for Word and Chrome, so if you went with the current MBP you would be more than happy. The new Ivy Bridge ones are not going to reinvent computing. Of course they should have some gains, but the big thing for the next MBP should be a jump in portability and possibly screen quality. If you need an optical drive that is built in, I would order one now because it seems unlikely the next MBP will have it.

3. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no need whatsoever for an optical drive, however I do need an Ethernet port, as my dorm does not have wireless.

Would you suggest a current Macbook Pro then if I will only be using Word and Chrome?

4. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

...... So why don't you drop $40 and make your dorm wireless?

5. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

The wireless is very spotty on any router. I have found that a hardwire is way more reliable.

6. ouchiko, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

ouchiko macrumors member

I'm waiting on the screen resolutions. The pro 13 is far too small and a bump to 1080p would be a sell for me.

Oh, and I don't need retina. Retina works on the iPad and iPhone because it's got a double sized interface. True 2400px plus res on a mac book would be hard to read unless they did the same thing.

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

Then you've really been looking at the wrong routers.

Not saying that Wi-Fi is as good as Ethernet, as it of course isn't. However, Wi-Fi works fine, just make sure you buy the right kit. You don't need to go as far as an AirPort Extreme, there are cheaper options available that really work well.

8. BabydollNat, Mar 27, 2012

BabydollNat macrumors newbie

I'm a college student as well and use my laptop for everything you do, especially downloading music. I recently bought the 13" macbook pro last month because I really wanted the built in optical drive and didn't want to wait for the refresh in hopes of specs that suit me.

I would suggest buying your laptop now, even though you think you won't use the optical drive, you most likely will need it. Some classes require you to install a disc, or copy files off one. You may also want to burn a CD to listen to in the car or in your dorm room. You may buy a dvd and want to watch it in bed on your laptop, installing a printer may require an optical drive to install, etc. This screen size I thought would be way to small but its perfect for me and for carrying around campus :)

Good luck in your decision!

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

To be honest, if thats all you use for, get an iPad 3 with 4G LTE.
    Then you dont need any wireless.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You could always wait a few weeks, then a few more, then a few after that, until the new model actually comes out.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you need an ethernet port, then you may want to buy now as a lot of people believe they wil eliminate it. However, as others noted, working wireless, even in old dorms with crazy thick walls, is do-able. The MBP has a kick ass wireless card and with the right router you could practically get reception inside a bomb shelter! :)

12. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly really do not mind using the Ethernet cable, and if I have no problems with it, why shell out the extra $50 for a router? There is wireless throughout the rest of the campus, so it's not like I'm plugged in all the time.

That is a great point as far as the discs and all their uses for college students go. I am going to give it a day or two to wait for other responses, but as of now, I am definitely leaning toward the current Macbook Pro, considering all of the uses. Thank you to everyone for the responses!

----------

I really do not like working with iPads. I'd prefer a laptop.

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

To be honest, I have to disagree. I wouldn't say there's anything special about the MBP's wireless (at least my 13in, early 2011 model). It's always telling me I have full signal when it's pretty clear that I don't because it will suddenly drop off if I move a few too many inches farther. Not saying it's terrible, but it's pretty average.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I should have been more specific when I made my original statement and so I apologize for not doing this earlier. Most laptops have very good wireless cards these days because makers know that they will be used and that people are equating laptops with wireless access. The technology is mature, and while not every product is good, there are excellent routers and cards that are easily available for an inexpensive price.

15. Wrathwitch, Mar 27, 2012

Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

MBA + Ethernet adapter.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC704ZM/A

No need for a pro from what I have read and if you want laptop portability with lightweight.

Also, if you find somehow that you do need an optical drive, they are pretty cheap (externals).

Personally I think it is utter BS and crap that you should have to buy any freaking dongles for the damn price they ask, Apple should include the damn ethernet cable in gratis....

16. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone who cares, I just bought a 13" MacBook Pro! Can't wait to start using it.

17. chilly7 macrumors member

i am not shure but i think it is possible to get a usb optical drive or atlist i have seen some blureays usb drives so u can hook to mac if a new one won't have optical drive..
    problem solved!

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have iPads, MBA's & MBP's. The choice you made is excellent. The distinct advantage of MBP's is how easily they are upgraded, as well as their proven durability.

The disadvantage of iPads is the lack of a good companion keyboard. I've invested a lot of money on various hi quality cases with keyboards built in. The shallow key pitch & shrunken size is too cramped for an average mans hands.

Enjoy your excellent new MBP :)

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Congrats! You won't regret it. It is a splendid machine all-around. The plethora of free apps with OS X is something you will also come to appreciate.

20. DougBookPro macrumors newbie

Congrats!!! I am also ready to make the jump for a MBP (my first Apple comp!) and the wait for the refresh is KILLING me!;)

Enjoy your new baby. :D

21. thegrapeguy macrumors newbie

Congrats! I have the late '11 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHZ and love it. At first I lamented maybe "too small". But as I started using it and bringing it around places (like on my lap right now) I really appreciate it's nimbleness. Once I decided I was going to set up a home recording studio I started looking at other bigger MacBooks with more power, more screen space... I thought I might sell this and go bigger. Folks on other forums told me to get Quad Core 17" i7 for power and track count but I always thought I would not be inclined to take it anywhere being a 17".

Well I loaded Logic Pro got a Sound Devices USBPre 2, a couple of KRK speakers, a Mackie Control Universal Pro and I'm already making great tracks. The 13" MacBook is really working out good for me.

22. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone! I've been on it for about two hours now, and wish it wouldn't have taken me this long to convert to a Mac. I love it!

23. tarponbeach macrumors member

I bought a 13" a few months ago, as well. Perfect for my needs as a law student. The 13" has more power than I will ever need, and I like having an optical drive, as well as an ethernet port.

24. Macbook Pro. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am loving it! One thing, though: Is there any way to transfer my songs from my iPhone to my new iTunes library? (Most, if not all songs were not bought from iTunes). Thanks in advance for any help!