iPad Worth to get iPad 4 right now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MisakixMikasa, Apr 10, 2014.

1. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

There is one open boxed iPad 4 16GB with cellular selling for $349 CAD and if I am trade in my iPad mini for $150CAD that would bring down to $199. Then after tax price would be $224.

Seems good deal to me, but is it really wroth to get nearly 2 years old device right now?

2. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The iPad 4 is still a great device and will continue to be so for at least the next 2-3 years. It depends on which iPad mini you are trading in. If it is the 1st gen then go for it. The difference in screen size and weight is more than made up for in the display and faster processor. If it is a retina mini, then it depends on your opinion about the size differences, and only you can answer that.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

If your disposable income allows it then I'd say go with your gut felling.

I had to return my iPad rMini due to my eyesight and picked up the iPad Air.

In your case you may also find the increased real estate better and portability is a nonissue.

4. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes, it is first gen. iPad mini. I think it is a good deal and want to do it

5. threelions macrumors regular

I have the 4, I was going to upgrade to the Air but had some screen issues and decided to keep my 4. It's a great Tablet and has plenty of life left in it.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

How long do you plan to keep an iPad 4? 10+ years? Then you can go ahead and buy it now. :apple:

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Sure. It has more effective RAM than the air due to the same amount if RAM, and the air being 64bit.

Just realize that at some point iOS 9 or 10 will be 64bit CPU only. So that is your trade off. But it is a perfectly good device.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

By the time 64-bit becomes a requirement, the specs on the iPad Air will likely be too weak to run the new iOS version smoothly anyway. Personally, I tend to update my devices by just one iOS generation. Beyond that and it seems like you sacrifice a lot of performance while not getting all the new features.

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I just purchased an iPad 4 yestarday. No regrets. It's my first iPad and I love it !

(16GB Wifi + LTE)

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The 4 is still a current product and is quite up to the task. Great screen, good processor, and it worked out many of the kinks that plagued the 3rd gen iPad. I bought the wife a 4 a few months ago and she's just smitten with it.

Go for it.

11. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Thank you all. Brought the iPad 4 with LTE... Feel happy about he purchase..it is cheap and better for office productivity than iPad mini...

Loving the iPad 4 and iPad Mini retina

12. nickdylan macrumors regular

Yes. The iPad 4 is still awesome. I wouldn't go any generations before that - iPad 2/3 and iPad Mini are pretty outdated and even though they run okay now they won't for long. The iPad 4 is almost as fast in day to day use as the Air, and it smokes just about any other tablet on the market.

13. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it actually seems like the better buy right now is to get one generation behind the newest one for full-sized iPads. I've heard that the iPad 4 runs most things the same as the Air and even some things better because not all apps have been designed or updated for the 64-bit iPad Air.

14. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

It does run everything iPad Air runs... But it just doesn't have that 64 bit A7 chip and not really future proof...but that is not of my mind... I am willing go it it because it is cheap compare with 519 CAD plus 13% tax

15. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I own an iPad 4, and while I agree with your premise that the iPad 4 is still awesome, I disagree about hesitating to go generations before it. iPad 3rd gen is still completely functional in today's tablet market. I had my hands on one the other day and it was just fine. It accomplishes everything you need it to. If price isn't an issue, though, I'd buy a 4.

16. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The iPad Air doesn't do anything that the iPad 4 can't. The quad-core graphics on the A6X are beastly and in some graphics tests even surpasses the A7 due to memory limitations of the dual-core setup. There's no new software that only works on the A7. There's no touch-ID and RAM is the same 1GB.

Get the cheaper iPad 4 and wait for the Air2 when it comes with touch-ID and more RAM.

17. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That's true now.. But the divergence may increase as time progresses. Although iPads tend to have a narrower inter generation capability divergence compared to iPhones over time. Maybe the OP should also assess how long she/ he intends to keep the iPad for.

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

By the time that happens, the performance gap with the latest generation iPad and the iPad Air (2013) will likely be large enough to make you want to upgrade anyway.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

That's not really an appropriate comparison...as an owner of both, there is definitely a distinct difference in their fluency, especially with 7.1. I love them both but the Air having 'less memory' because it's 64bit chip utilizes more is horse pucky. There's a WHOLE lot more to the A7 than it's 64bit chip as it's also using the new A8 instruction set and faster RAM than the '4'. Since 7.1 I've had no springboard crashes, no RAM challenges at ALL. The iPad 4 will definitely drop a frame or two while swiping up for multi tasking trays, pinch to home or four finger swipes between open apps. The Air on the other hand is smooth as silk...pretty amazing difference actually and I use them both every day.

Any chance you could point me to those graphic tests? I've seen nothing but complete and TOTAL dominance of the A7 chip in the 5s and Air/Mini compared to the A6x...here's a link to Anand's performance numbers...

Actually...let's try memory bandwidth first @
    http://anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/2

Maybe it's the GLBench 2.7 Triangle Throughput tests on and off screen you're talking about? ALL other Graphic measurements from the 6x to the 7 are anywhere from 50-100+% better in 'real world' tests (Games specifically) as far as GLBench, Anand's comment was "We see an even smaller gap between the Air and 5s in the triangle throughput tests (2.9%). There doesn't seem to be any substantial difference in GPU frequency between A7 implementations here. The regression in triangle rate performance compared to the iPad 4 is explained by differences in how Series 6 and Series 5XT GPUs scale in width. Whereas 5XT replicated nearly the entire GPU for "multi-core" versions, multi-cluster versions of Rogue only replicate at the shader array. The result? We don't see the same sort of peak triangle setup scaling we did back on multi-core 5XT parts. I'm not sure I'm particularly happy with the magnitude of the regression here, but I haven't seen any real world cases where it matters yet.

Next up are the game simulation tests. We'll start with the more strenuous of the two: T-Rex HD."

Which can be seen here

http://anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/4

The CPU? Octane is showing almost a 400% improvement!!! That's absolutely amazing IMO from one generation to the the next...check it out

http://anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/3

It's obvious if you use both every day. Not so much if you don't ...and it sounds like the OP has both (albeit a mini retina scaled back .1Mhz, still the A7) --- BUT at the price he or she paid, the iPad 4 is a Bargain...and IMHO, the second best tablet on the market.

It's good the layman doesn't read these forums and fret about RAM constantly....as my Note 3 has three times the RAM as my 5s and Air but they both are as fast or faster in real, day to day tasks and software usage.

To the OP---Good Buy! I love my Air---but we run a mobile audio and video production company and when the '4' dropped we bought four of them for field work---they're hearty little machines, I don't mean to take anything away from their capabilities---and I like their robust build for field work. That said, the Air is one HELL of a tablet, as is the rMini and 5s...the A7 chip is fast...and when you have that speed, the memory efficiency and graphics combined...it's an amazingly fluid experience. As iOS 7 continues to mature and developers continue to refine their software...the masses are still using the iPad 2/3...the 4 in some cases the older Mini. If they want to make money they'll continue to target the masses...and the 4/Air are on the bleeding edge of performance. I'm still using the original iPad as a music only player but it still gets 10-12 hours of battery life, looks great, works well and doesn't give me any grief...they're all awesome!

20. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Had mine since late 2012, still running beautifully, running iOS 7.1.1 with no issues, seems they even sorted the Safari tab crashing, simply can't complain, it's a beast of a thing and the icing on the cake is LTE, loving it. :)