Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techsforless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
Long time Mac Rumors Member Reader (lost my login). Anyways, I just wanted to get some opinions. Basically, my main computer right now is a 2011 i5 Macbook Air 13'' I got it as soon as it was released. This computer pretty much replaced my older Unibody MacBook but the only thing is I have a lot of legacy stuff on my old Macbook that I can't just ignore so I do still use this older Unibody. I've upgraded this Unibody almost to the Max, except in the HD Department. Specs Currently sitting at:

2.4 Ghz Unibody Macbook 13'' (Late 2008)
8GB Ram
500 GB HD 7200 RPM

Would it be worth it to drop down $500+ or more for a 512GB SSD to replace that 7200RPM one or is it not worth it anymore to upgrade this 3+ year old machine. I've been eyeing on completely maxing out this machine but as it grows older I'm not sure if its worth it. Thoughts? I do a lot of various tasks with the older Macbook thats why I have it as maxed out as possible. My friend is also offering to sell me one of his older 512GB SSD's from 2009 for a good price (Brand New).

Thanks for any opinions!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Definitely depends on your needs. What do you need right now? I wouldn't drop 500 on an SSD though to be honest. That's almost half the cost of a new mbp. The most I'd spend is 250 tops. Anything more and you're better off just waiting until you can't stand your computer anymore and get a brand new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.