Worth to upgrade to i7 for 3d-rendering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PierreFley, Jul 9, 2016.

1. PierreFley macrumors newbie

Hi, is it worth buying the $200 processor upgrade if I want to do 3d rendering on the Macbook?
    I am not going to do 3d animation only modeling/rendering (3ds Autodesk Max).
    [​IMG]

These are the builds I am currently considering
    [​IMG]

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Not really, I think most people would just go to the 15", more cores and better GPU for the same price (plus bigger screen), unless you really really need 13". Even still you probably won't notice it.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

to clarify, you are looking at buying a dual core/integrated graphics Apple laptop to use for a Windows only 3D/CG program?

4. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As others have said, if you need more processing power, get the 15" rMBP. The $200 processor upgrade for what really amounts to a 200MHz upgrade just isn't worth it.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

Not when a quad-core base 15" would run circles around it for not much more.

7. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

Reading this thread makes me consider getting a 15" since I was planning on getting the $2K 13" config anyway. I just don't approve of the 15" size - it is too big. When I first saw it in person, I thought it was a 17". If Apple manages to reduce the size of the 15" (putting 15" into 14"), I'm more likely to purchase 15". Thanks for the logic!

8. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I have an almost $2000 13" rMBP (late 2013, bought new). I have had a 15" for about 6 months back in 2008 and it was simply too big for me. Yes, I could (fairly often) use the extra power. But nothing beats the portability for the 13".

To OP: If you have the cash it will yield a small improvement. But I would save the money for something else. At the same time I would also recommend you want a little bit (if you can) as new models are expected to launch soon.

9. khabboub macrumors member

I have the 15 inch, honestly its not that big.

i used to have the cMBP, and the rMBP is a lot slimmer and a lot lighter. i think for the screen real estate that you get, its a decent upgrade.

i mean the 13 inch is a nice laptop, especially if you travel a lot, but the 15 inch is nearly just as portable.

i use Solidworks and i can tell you that the 15 inch is so much nicer to model stuff on.