Worth updating to iOS 8 on a iPT5?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by theapplefanboyj, Sep 21, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

That's the problem I have now. Is it worth updating?
    I do game, but not heavy gaming. Just a few games like Dots and Smash Hit.
    I won't update my phone though.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's an IPT5?

I have an iPhone 5c and its fine.

3. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. gpspad macrumors 6502

I did and not sure it is. While it didn't seem like my iPod was slow or light afterwards, there seems to be s bunch of ios8 features left out.

Notably; no handoff or continuity, the new find my phone settings are missing. I'm sure there are others.

If you are one of those that just wants to keep it updated don't be afraid to update. But don't expect to have all the features the iPhone got.

5. asv56kx3088 macrumors 6502

6. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Well, that indeed is an simple answer. Too simple!

The iPhone 4S is almost identical to the iPod touch 5G, with only a difference in the screen size and the connectivity internals. But the processor and RAM is exactly the same.

I can tell you that the iPhone 4S runs iOS 8 even better than iOS 7. Which is actually very good! I would definitely recommend you to upgrade. Of course you will miss features, but that's always with the release of a new major-update. The iPhone 5/5c/5s also have features missing that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have. Mostly because of lack of feature specific hardware, like with AirDrop that requires dual-band WiFi, on the iPhone 4 and 4S.

7. ZippyZapp macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I have an iPod touch 5g and was going to wait until an update to it is released.

As for continuity, you have tried it to find out it does not work? It is supposed to work, according to the ios 8 features page. It clearly list iPod touch 5 g as supported for this feature.

How does it run for you? Is there a lot of slowdown? I watched a video of someone that updated theirs and it did not seem much worse if any than 7.1.2, which seems to lag here and there anyway.

Thanks for your observations.

8. saudor macrumors 6502

it was fine for me. I just downgraded because it was pointless until sms relay is in full swing. Not to mention ios8 is glitchy here and there

9. gpspad macrumors 6502

I re-updated my ipod touch. Handoff does work, as well as making calls through your iphone. I can't test the hotspot link with my iphone as my carrier blocks it.

Everything I can do on my iPad rmini works with the touch.

At first use its kind of twitchy and slowish with ios8 though.

10. ZippyZapp macrumors newbie

Cool. When you say at first use, are you saying like right after update? I assume it does some background tasks and spotlight stuff that makes it sluggish? So that clears up?

Thx for the report.