worth updating ?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by anonymous4a, Oct 25, 2015.

  1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

    Aug 6, 2012
    I'm still on Yosemite and I had such a bad experience with it and was hoping this OS would be a lot more stable but all i read on here are complaints.. anyway how is your experience with el capitan compared to Yosemite when it first came out ?
  2. Partron22 macrumors 68020


    Apr 13, 2011
  3. Fried Chicken, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015

    Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

    Fried Chicken

    Jun 11, 2011
    Yes. This is an under-the-hood OS update. These are the types of updates you want to install, not ding dong updates that give you ding dong features.
  4. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

    Oct 23, 2010
    Well if you don't want to access the internet with your mac you install El Capitan.
  5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2004
    The .1 update is much better, but .0 had two of my Macs fairly useless for a couple weeks. If I was you, I'd wait for .2 just to be safe.
  6. Spink10 Suspended


    Nov 3, 2011
    lol - such an inaccurate statement. Most people don't have this problem. Sorry you do. :(
  7. leederek007 macrumors newbie

    Jul 11, 2015
    I would as the upgrade gives a performance boost that it promises and the split screen is really handy! Also, there are very few bugs(from my personal experience.)
  8. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

    Apr 15, 2009
    Central England
    I had no problem with .0, likewise .1. A few folks aren't so fortunate, although I think you might get a different impression from reading various forums. Those of us happily using our updated devices are less likely to spend time posting than those with issues.
  9. Sabretooth78 macrumors member


    Nov 13, 2012
    Western NY
    I've had no problems with .0 (and .1) on a separate partition "clean install" on a mid-2012 cMBP. This is a bit surprising to me as I had dealt with 10.10 Yosemite for almost 3 months on this machine before giving up and reverting back to 10.9.5 Mavericks, where it remains today.

    I'm actually planning on going all-in with 10.11 later today. The biggest nuisance to me is having to shell out $50 to upgrade Parallels as v8.0 won't work with El Cap. But then again, $50 for 3 years isn't the worst situation (I only have Win XP, I'm not spending another cent on Windows and all of the apps I run on it are XP-era, so Boot Camp isn't an option for me).

    My best advise would be to do the same if you're able - that way you can "sandbox" it and make sure the things you do most often still work - and if you decide it's not for you, just delete that partition from within your "ruling" version of OS X.
  10. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

    Mar 31, 2015
    Since you are using Yosemite it makes sense to upgrade at some point. Question is when is the right time?

    I recommend waiting until 2 or 3 updates are released because current version 10.11.1 contains annoying bugs (Time Machine, Finder, Preview, Disk Utility etc.). Its possible they may not impact you but unless you are desperate to get rid of Yosemite its better to wait for the moment.

    While El Capitan has potential to be what Yosemite should have been it is not in my opinion ready and I would not install it into my Mac at this point.

    If you want to stay safe I recommend installing 10.11 first into external drive and testing all your applications, if everything works you can install it into your Mac. If you have problems you can keep using Yosemite and erase the external drive. Very little work compared to situation where you have problems and have restore everything from backup...

    It also depends on your Macs age, if its near the minimum requirements it may not perform much better than Yosemite because of hardware limitations.

    If you were still using Mavericks I would recommend keeping it because 10.10 and 10.11 have very little real improvements compared to 10.9.
  11. MrBungleBear macrumors newbie

    May 1, 2008
    So, 10.11.0 was Fine - worked well on both my MBpro and my old MacPro. Nice and snappy and no issues at all.

    Yesterday, I installed 10.11.1 on my MBPro. I had not made a backup - I am an idiot lulled into a false sense of security because I have never had one single issue with any of the updates since, like, the beginning of the OS X era. (Except for some SMTP mail server problems at one point, a long long time ago.)

    Yeah - this install? Not so good. It all seemed to work fine until it came back up, asked for my iCloud account password, and then showed me how truly borked my account was! All other accounts on the box work fine, by my account won't show me any files, applications, utilities. If any do appear, they won't start ("Missing or Incomplete" error message). If you find a Word doc to click on, it will open in Word, but you can't open word directly. This is a total mess. Safe mode doesn't help, so it's not some strange incompatibility. I think something somewhere is either missing or corrupted in the account that was used to do the upgrade.

    Notes to self for the future:
    - make a frikkin' backup: you're not invincible or particularly blessed
    - Have an account set aside purely for doing installs, upgrades and updates. If it gets fracked, you're still in the game.
  12. MrBungleBear macrumors newbie

    May 1, 2008
  13. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

    George Dawes

    Jul 17, 2014
    No , wait until 10.11.2 ... at least - and read the reviews on apple's site

    At the moment el crapitan is osx's vista - utter nightmare

    I bitterly regret updating my macs to it
  14. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

    Oct 23, 2010
    I'm just 1 a billion they said.... Everything will be fine they said.... WELP!

Share This Page

13 October 25, 2015