Worth upgrading early 2013 to late 2013?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Nov 13, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

Hi guys,

so about 2 months ago a bought a base spec feb 2013 15inch rmbp for a steal, £1100... and sold my 2010 13inch for £600, damn good deal i say.

Anyway, i know theres not a massive difference between the 2, but would it be worth selling my current one for as much as i could get say £1200? And getting the haswell one with 750m for £1800? (student discount), i'll have this 3/4 years, like my last.

I play a few games in bootcamp, battlefield 3 and skyrim... will these run any better with the extra gig of vram? i know the 750m is a rebranded 650m...
    and will final cut pro perform better in OSX (hobby... GoPro footage of snowboarding...)

Is it worth it? i could also use the extra space with the 512gb ssd.. rams an added bonus.

Will there be a early 2014 q1 upgrade again? if so what might there be?

Sorry for the essay, mucho appreciated.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I would say no. I personally just bought a refurbished early 2013 rMBP after doing pretty extensive research when the late 2013's were released and settled on the same exact computer you have.

For me, I'd have to pay almost an additional $1k over the $1.6k I spent on the refurbished early 2013 base model just to get the dGPU, and like you said the gGPU is just slightly better and the addition vRAM won't do much for you with respect to gaming.

The last two years have seen model updates twice a year - one in the spring and one in the fall - but the spring 2014 update will most likely just be another spec bump and will likely contain the same exact video card that is offered now (based upon previous releases).

3. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but im also taking into account i get double the space and double the ram.

Is it Maxwell thats out next? (i dont know), which is the one thats meant to double graphics performance and whens it due out?

4. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I understand but I don't think that double the space and double the RAM is worth the premium you would have to pay - at least for me - and like I say I do use mine for gaming.

As far as NVIDIA Maxwell, release date is anticipated for 2014 and who knows if we will even see these in a MBP, but I'm sure if Apple does use Maxwell it would be late 2014 at the earliest you would see them.

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

This is a silly question. No one knows how much money you have, or the marginal utility you derive from the features. Question of "worth it" can only be answered at a personal level with that information.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You got a killer deal I'd keep what you have and wait for Skylake.

7. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i got pretty lucky, only came with 13 battery cycles as well... whats the advantages of Skylake? and is that late 2014?

8. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Projected for 2015, and your current rig should be plenty powerful enough to see you through then.

9. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

just the space im worried about not the power :(

10. snapdragonx macrumors regular

I had a 2012 15" rMBP which I recently sold as I wanted something smaller. I went with the new 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM/256GB SSD.

I gotta say, the difference is very noticeable. The new MBP just feels a lot "snappier". I guess it's down to the faster PCI-E SSD. When I open the lid, it wakes a lot faster than my 2012 rMBP did... it's pretty much instant.

There's also no sign of UI lag, stutter, etc. Scrolling through dense web pages is no trouble.

So yeah, really happy with it. And I'm assuming the new 15" model will have all the same benefits.

11. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

I'd say keep what you have, you got a bargain for your model and the difference between that and the late 2013 is marginal at best.

Save or put the money aside you could/would spend on the upgrade, and use it in a year or two's time to upgrade. You will still get good money for your current model (relative to what you paid for it) and will then be making a much bigger spec jump (an assumption but it's fair to say the model in 1-2 years time will be a fair bit better).

Personally I would only upgrade that soon if it was only costing 200-300 more after selling current model. The cost/benefit just does not make sense for this upgrade option.