Worth upgrading eMac to 1GB?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xTRIGGER092x, Jul 14, 2013.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

Recently upgraded my old 700MHz eMac to Tiger and now it's a usable internet machine. That being said, web pages still load fairly sluggishly and as a result I'm looking into upgrading from 384MB to 1GB, only being about $20 to do so. Is it likely the sluggishness would be solved by a RAM upgrade, or is it more likely to be caused by processor/OS/plugin limitations? Don't want to waste money if I can avoid it.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It'll never be a speed demon, but I personally saw a massive difference in performance when I upgraded my eMac from 512 to 1.5 GB; yours may not be as dramatic, but I would think it to certainly be a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade for that price.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The best thing you can do for any computer, especially any older computer, is to max out the RAM.

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Echoing what the others say. OS X loves RAM. I'd even be tempted to run Leopard on it with the RAM upgrade.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Yep, definitely get more RAM tough to do anything at 384MB.

7. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

OS X loves RAM. OS X would have sexy thoughts about RAM if it were capable of thinking those thoughts. OS X would do very naughty things with RAM if it were capable of thinking those thoughts.

Getting more RAM is the safest idea to make things better.

8. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Go on... :eek:

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

As all other have said,the extra ram will help...however the web page sluggishness will still remain...as most modern web pages really require the added power of the cpu/gpu.

Try using a faster browser like Camino,and turn off flash and web ads in options.

10. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Ram Yes! Also, have you looked at?

I would agree with every post here to speed up you eMac. Ram is key! It is paramount, if you want to run anything aside from Tiger. But another aspect is the hard drive. I know when I put and SADA drive here in my PB, it made a HUGE difference.

It it is something else to think about depending on what you want to to spend on your mac to get what you want out of it. I know with the money I have spent so far? I could have had at the very least a C2D pro uni body or a T410s both of which, would be heads and tails above what I am typing on now.

Like many have said, there is something about this PPC machines. There is something, that once you get one? You want to keep it running..

11. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Using TenFourFox now; is Camino less resource intensive (but isn't it no longer being developed?)

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's true Camino development has recently ceased. (To be honest though, it hasn't really been "up to date" for a long time.) However, if speed and lower use of resource use are your main goals, Camino is hard to beat. But, it does not offer the same level of security or customization as TenFourFox.

Personally, I keep both around on my eMac; Camino for forum browsing/light web surfing, and TenFourFox for use of certain plug-ins and more sensitive web tasks (banking, purchases, etc.)

13. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Yeah, it is a shame that Roccat or Stainless are not available for Tiger :(

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Indeed, I've also heard good things about AuroraFox. But, TenFourFox is still a pretty decent browser and I'd rather have Tiger's stability and speed over any advantage or feature Leopard would offer.

15. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

There is TenFourKit, but it hasn't been updated since September.