Worth upgrading FCE to FCP X?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by richpjr, Jul 22, 2011.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I picked up FCE about a year ago to work on converting a ton of older home movies onto DVD and to work on soccer videos for my daughter (she plays on a premier soccer team). I never got around to spending much time with FCE and am now close to starting this work. I realize that I already own FCE and would have to shell out the money for FCP X. I am willing to do so if it warrants it. I realize FCP X has gotten a lot of flack from pros, but seems to me it's gearing itself more towards people who want more than iMovie. I could try FCE and upgrade later if I'm not happy with it but it seems like a waste of time to get up to speed on a dead product. I'll be working on a 2010 27" i7 iMac with 12 gig of RAM running Lion if that matters.

What do you think? Stick with FCE or jump up?

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

FCPX is awesome. Go for it!

3. flsurfer77 macrumors newbie

This might Help you make an informed decision.

There is this site that has 'free' FCP X tutorials. The guy gives you a very straightforward analysis and a project based workflow you can follow along. Go through a few of them (or all of them) and see if the workflow is something that might be suitable for you.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

Like you, I own FCE and after watching these videos, I am leaning towards it. Though I read and reread all the gripes and understand how some points are justified by the Pro Users, to me FCP X looks like something I would appreciate.

4. jqc macrumors regular

you'll notice that most of the gripes if not all, have to do with professionals using formats, tape systems etc that are very specific to broadcast industry, so they won't apply to you. I started on the new movie and never used the the old iMovie, and i found it reasonably intuitive. FCPX brings this to the next level, you should have no problem with it. and watch the izzyvideos mentioned above, they will give you a great feel for it.

5. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

Those tutorials are nice - thanks for the link.

6. rdsii64 macrumors regular

upgrade to FCP X

Final Cut Express isn't in the same league as Final Cut Pro X. Based on my own experiences with both, you would be a fool not to upgrade. It's ten times as easy to use as Final Cut Express.

7. delany macrumors newbie

Fcpx

I was using Final Cut Express for a few years before making the FCPX jump yesterday. Certainly, in a situation like yours, you will find FCPX much easier to use and more powerful. The very real downside is that FCX is pretty buggy and unstable right now. For me, on a maxed out 2011 MacBook Pro, it crashes more than once an hour. Even with this issue, I'd would say it's worth it though. On the other hand Final Cut Express is likely more than capable of doing what you want, albeit with a bit more effort, and $300 is $300.