Worth upgrading from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. oplix macrumors 65816

    oplix

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #1
    I reformatted because I had to replace my hard drive. Was wondering if I should just leave 10.6.3 or upgrade to 10.6.4.
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    That depends on the applications you use. Maybe the 1.6.4 update might render some of your programs inoperable.

    Though many seem to run 10.6.4 just fine.

    Maybe this thread from two months ago can give you some insight. Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.4
     
  3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

    DirtySocks85

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    #3
    I'm still holding out on upgrading to 10.6.4 due to the graphical issues on most 3D/FPS games on Steam. I'm not having issues with any of the things that the update fixes, so I'm happy to keep ignoring it and enjoying a MBP on 10.6.3 that will play Half-Life 2 for me.
     
  4. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

    rmbrown09

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    #4
    If you are wanting to play games, say any games really and you have the an Nvidia card, don't do it. 10.6.4 is a graphical driver nightmare.

    A massive update is in the works for now, the second build has been seeded to devs, and preliminary tests show that it actually beats DX in terms of performance with 0aa on.
     
  5. itripped macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #5
    Thank you sir, for the update. I have 10.6.4 installed and while I am able to play games alright, any sort of performance boost is welcome. Especially if it quiets down all those complaining about 10.6.4! lol

    But seriously, this is some good news and I'm stoked.
     
  6. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

    oplix

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #6
    Alright thanks for the input guys. I too, have no issues with any of the bug fixes listed in the 10.6.4 release notes so I think I will hold off until 10.6.5 is out.
     
  7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    #7
    Any way for a non-dev to get their hands on a beta of 10.6.5?
     
  8. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #8
    Personally, I'd keep everything up to date. No software is perfect in the world, so just keep it up to date :)
     
  9. ceshimm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #9
    any idea on how to downgrade to 10.6.3. i think mine coming the week might have 10.6.4 pre-installed and what's the version of the resource disk coming with 10.6.4 as well?
     
  10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

    AlphaDogg

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Boulder, CO
    #10
    I dont think that there is a boxed set/restore disc version of 10.6.4. If I am correct, every 2010 model mac comes with 10.6.3. My 2010 13" came with 10.6.3.
     
  11. celticpride678

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #11
    Nope.
     
  12. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #12
    Just use it. It will be fine!! Do u actually have any issue with 10.6.4?

    BTW 10.6.5 is coming soon anyway
     

Share This Page