Worth upgrading from iOS 8? iPhone 4S & 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sepultura, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Sepultura macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5S running 8.1.2. Just wondering if it's worth going to iOS 9? I stayed on iOS 8.1.2 because I was considering jailbreaking so I could unlock my phone; I haven't bothered with that at all though. I find the battery life on my 5S isn't great and sometimes WiFi randomly disconnects (read WiFi was fixed in 8.3). Another reason I haven't upgraded it because they overhauled the Music app which I heard is disaster.

My iPhone 4S is running 8.3. I know it doesn't get all the benefits of iOS 9 but maybe it's worth it? I read it doesn't run any better or worse.

Also can I make a backup of my old version or is that not possible anymore?

Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not worth it to me. I'm only on 9.x because that's what my phone came with.

3. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly don't you like? It's not like the iPhone 6s ever ran on iOS 8.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not a big fan of iOS 7, 8 or 9. Flat, blinding white and primary colors inspired by Fisher Price and PlaySkool.

Having been jailbroken since iOS 5 I find iOS 9 lacking. But most of all, there is nothing I do now on iOS 9 that I could not do on iOS 6 (my favorite version of iOS).

I'm just not impressed with the multi-colored unicorn puke that is iOS 7, 8 and 9.

5. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Same here. Wish I could get my iPad mini on iOS 6, unfortunately it came with iOS 7.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The 4s will be a bit slower but the 5s shouldn't be as noticeable. iOS 9 is supposed to extend battery life though, and it also has low power mode.

7. nordique macrumors 6502a

I found iOS 9 to be better than iOS 8.1.2 on the 4s; basically with iOS 9 on the 4s, the apps launch slower than iOS 8 but the animations are better and smoother than they were on iOS 8 (where they are very choppy), I also found the battery saver mode would give me an extra 30-45 mins of battery life on the 4s.

On the 5s, iOS 8 is blazing fast on it so I would hold on for now...iOS 9 is fast and fine, but it is a choppy compared to iOS 8 and some of the apps take a bit extra to launch which makes it feels slower...the new iOS 9.3 beta is bringing some positive results, and best to wait and see what the final release for that brings

So, for now weigh in on the 4s a bit, I don't think you've anything to lose with that personally as the extra battery life and smoother animations were worth it in my eyes. But if you want to wait and see, just wait out for a month or so and see how the final version of iOS 9.3 turns out to be.

So far, the results seem to be very positive around the web for 9.3

Hold off for a bit with the 5s. With the 4s, its your call - my experience has been positive with iOS 9 on the 4s and I preferred the smoother animations and multitask switcher to the laggy yet slightly-faster-to-launch-apps interface with iOS 8.

OP, if you end up not liking iOS 9 on the 4s, you can downgrade to 8.4.1 using OdysseusOTA 2 or to iOS 6 using OdysseusOTA. I have done so several times from iOS 9. Right now, with iOS 9.2 there is no jailbreak and you need to jailbreak the phone first but there will eventually be jailbreaks released for various iOS 9 versions, its only a matter of time. That's something else to consider.

8. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

Can you not just make a backup of your iPhone through iTunes and restore it to an older version?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can only install an iOS version that Apple is signing at that time, which is generally just the latest version essentially.

10. geta macrumors 6502a

4s > i wouldn't take the risk, keep it with iOS 8.
    5s > why not since they selling it new with iOS 9, but i would make fresh install.