Worth Upgrading from rMBP 2015 to 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by irock101, Jan 22, 2017.

1. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Currently using the maxed out spec of the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
    I am having my eyes on the latest 13 or 15" MacBook Pro with Touchbar, since I feel the laptop is either aging very fast or has some issue.
    It works fine 99% of the time and most people wouldn't even notice the flaws but I had it hooked up to an external display for over a year and maybe used the actual laptop keyboard + screen a total of 10 hours since I have it (bought it days after it got released).
    Now when hooked up to the 4k display, I occasionally get a small stutter which is not really that big of a deal and it happens once every month or so, so it's really just my OCD here.
    Now I have unplugged the external monitor and kinda start like working on the laptop without the external display. Just making use of the magic mouse.

I really like the keyboard / touchpad of the Macbook Pros but will a base 15" Touchbar model have the same speed like my current model?
    Right now I am having 16gb of Ram / 512gb SSD but most dealers around here only have the 8gb/256gb model in stock, which seems fine from a hard disc perspective.

My applications that are always open are:

• Mac Mail Client
    • Chrome
    • Tidal
    • Textpad
    It doesn't sound very intensive and I only use tools like Photoshop here and there ( I am an editor ), so I only resize a few images and stuff like that.
    Given that the HD space is not an issue, will the base 15" trMBP be as fast or faster than my current one or do I make a step back?

2. deany, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'd try a new cable before doing anything.
    Personally I woudn't upgrade to the new MacBook Pro until a software update is released.
    Fixing the stutter may make you reconsider keeping the 2015 - which IMO is one heck of a machine - I have the i5 8MB 500 GB 13" 2015, yours being far more powerful.
    I attach my rMBP to a 4K 24" Samsung monitor, a fair bit. Sometimes from sleep, it doesn't wake from keyboard or mouse, I have to lift the lid.
    Apart from that it's like an iMac when monitor is attached.

3. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

Thanks for your input! Maybe I'll give another monitor another chance.
    Already tried a variety of MiniDP port cables.

Might move from the 4k screens to one of the Curved LG's. Should be easier on the Macbook.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP asks:
    "Worth Upgrading from rMBP 2015 to 2016?"

Fishrrman answers:
    No, not really.
    Unless you have money to burn and enjoy tossin' it away.

OP:
    "I occasionally get a small stutter which is not really that big of a deal and it happens once every month or so, so it's really just my OCD here."

C'mon, man, that is OCD.
    What if you spend upwards of $3,000, and find you still get "a small stutter" once a month?

I think you'd do better to wait until fall 2017 or early 2018, when the "next revision" gets released...

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Well, I will say this:

If you have to ask someone else to justify an upgrade, then you don't need it!

6. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

Yeah in terms of performance the only improvement over last years model is the drive speed. The new MBP's have blazing fast drive. The GPU on the base model is only slightly faster than last years. The 460 is way more powerful. Unless you want the newer one because of aesthetics I would recommend keeping your current MBP. The newer one is however beautiful from every angle.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

beauty is only skin deep

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You have a fantastic machine. Still basically new. I'd definitely wait for the next generation of the new machines if I were you.