Worth upgrading from Series 0 to Series 3?

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I currently have a 42mm S0 but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the 42mm S3 since the latter is now discounted?

I've tried looking around for comparisons but they all seem to be based on older firmware so I'm concerned that performance may be different now.

I'm not concerned about fitness but I do use the watch for other things e.g. control music, check emails, texts, apple pay, etc.

So far the only thing that does annoy me about the S0 is that it can be slow for loading e.g. apple pay (especially when first turned on), music playlists, 'now playing', etc.

Thank you.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I went to s3 from s0 2 years ago. It’s a huge change; but agree that a cheap s4 would be even better. The bigger screen is a good thing.

but if you can’t, s0 to s3 is great. You’ll be surprised at the speed difference.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^^^What they said.

Newcomer to AW, so, no comparison to S0.

I'm the opposite, fitness functions are priority, with Apple Pay, Notifications, audio control being next and about only other uses for me (ok, maybe taking a call while driving, but have only needed that once).

Using an S3, and it can be slow to wake/respond. But since I'm primarily starting/stopping Workouts, not really an issue for me.

Reactions: tech3475

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
From the first GEN to the Series 3, it’s a fairly significant leap, mainly what you’re receiving is the water resistance 50 m, brighter display, dual core processor, the speaker is improved, ect. I’d say go for it, as the Series 3 has a decent future still ahead of it.

dmr2112

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
I currently have a 42mm S0 but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the 42mm S3 since the latter is now discounted?

I've tried looking around for comparisons but they all seem to be based on older firmware so I'm concerned that performance may be different now.

I'm not concerned about fitness but I do use the watch for other things e.g. control music, check emails, texts, apple pay, etc.

So far the only thing that does annoy me about the S0 is that it can be slow for loading e.g. apple pay (especially when first turned on), music playlists, 'now playing', etc.

Thank you.
I just jumped from the Series 0 to the Series 5 about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it. Also to point out I'm pretty similar in usage to you. I occasionally do a workout, but I mostly use it for music controls, notifications, Apple Pay, email, texts, calls, etc. I'd say at least consider the Series 4 though. My logic in buying an Apple Watch comes down to software updates. How much support and longevity will you get out of something you buy now. You have cheaper starting price for a Series 3 now but how much longer will Apple support Series 3 with updates and tech support. That all comes down to your preference and bank account though. I'd honestly say anything Series 3 and newer is worth it. That Series 3-5 justification is your preference though.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
i did the S0 to S3 update 2 years ago

it was almost like having a completely different device vs just an update.
the battery life, and speed difference is incredible. it makes it usable, vs just a "gimmick"
(i'm surprised you still get a day out of the s0 battery)

just went to a s5, and it's amazing how much bigger the display feels.

you're going to start having OS compatibility problems soon with the S0 and the more recent iOSes

if you can swing the s4 or 5 i would do that, but if not, i'd definitely go for the s3
there are already deals around for the s5.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2007
Last month I went from a Series 0 to a Series 3 on watchOS 6. I’d worn the Series 0 since launch, so nearly 4 and a half years.

Major difference is the speed. Dictation is now so fluid, notifications and general usage is just so much faster.

The only other big upgrade are just what os 6 brings as a Series 0 can only go up to 4.2.1.

But...I don’t do anything any different to when I was using the Series 0. It hasn’t brought anything “new” in the way I use the watch.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
When I went from S0 to S2 it was dramatic, S3 must be even better.

But when I went from S2 to S4 the jump was bigger.

As others have said, try to get an S4, it’sa completely different beast and many good offers around right now.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Seeing how you held onto the S0 for so long I’m assuming you’d like to hold onto your next watch for quite some time too? In which case definitely look for a S4 as a minimum for longevity. The design change in itself is enough for me personally to recommend S4 over S3.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Go S4. I keep seeing how prices are dropping as stores are looking to offload their stock and its so like the S5 its just stupid apple even bothered this year.