Worth upgrading from series 2 to series 3 for non LTE model?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Sep 30, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

So anybody here upgrade to the series 3 but not the LTE model?

think it's worth the upgrade just for the speed improvements and siri voice?

2. Newell0921 macrumors newbie

I upgraded to the series 3 with LTE from the series 2. I would say the speed improvements are definitely worth it alone.

I came from a series 0 to a series 2 when they first came out and was underwhelmed by the speed improvement between those two. The speed improvement over the 2 to the 3 is what we’ve been waiting for since Apple Watch came out in my opinion.

Honestly I haven’t found a good use case scenario for the LTE for myself yet.

3. Relentless Power, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Primarily, you would have to appreciate LTE, audible Siri and there are speed improvements are selling points. But ultimately, I don't consider it an upgrade, as much as I do a lateral grade Over the Series 2. But if you plan on utilizing those features, then perhaps they would be an upgrade in your situation.

4. Minarets macrumors 6502a

I plan to upgrade from series 0 to series 3 with GPS (not LTE). I’m on a business phone and can’t even if I wanted to. But hoping the speed boost is worth it. I played with series 2 when it came out and while faster wasn’t worth the price to upgrade to me. When watch os3 came out the speed of the series 0 felt like it doubled. Hope the series 3 with GPS feel like i has always hoped for.

5. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

Maybe not, the processor is more powerful, but it will be even more powerful next year.
    In my opinion the only valid reason to upgrade from 2-3 is LTE.

6. Newell0921 macrumors newbie

The best way I could describe the speed upgrade is in the way the undocked apps load.

When I had a series 0 it probably took an undocked app 7 seconds to load. When looking at the series 2 it probably took an undocked app 4-5 seconds to load. There was a bit of an improvement, but not very noticeable in my opinion. The series 3 takes 1-2 seconds to load an undocked app. In loading time I’m referring to the time the spinning app animation comes up.

There’s an improvement in Siri’s speed too, but I don’t use Siri too much.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Siri is much faster on the series 3 than on my iPhone 6 Plus; it’s embarrassing.

8. profets macrumors 601

I use Siri on my watch quite a lot, and I’m impressed with how much faster it (and everything else) feels on the Series 3 vs Series 2. Didn’t think we were going to get as big of a performance jump like we did from the original to S2, but it’s quite good.

My suggestion (if you’re not interested in LTE) would be:

Original Apple Watch: worthwhile to upgrade to Series 3
    Series 2 Apple Watch: stick with it until next year

Having said that, everyone has their own preference, and I might have even upgraded for the speed and Siri speaks given how much I use it. Feels like early iPhone days when speed bumps were significant & easily noticeable.

Also, definitely depends on your budget too. Upgrading from Original to Series 2 and from Series 2 to Series 3 were both approximately $300 CAD after selling the previous watch. It would be a different decision if I was holding onto previous watches and dropping $900 every year.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is no way of knowing if an Apple Watch is going to launch in 2018.

10. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

I believe they will, especially this LTE model is already very popular. I guess we will see!

11. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Seeing as it seems Apple are on a yearly cadence now, I would say you're better to wait a year or two until the difference is more noticeable. Unless money is no object to you. In which case, still wait. and donate the money to a better cause ;)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    It would seem likely, especially having seen from reviews that the S3 cellular seems "just able" to cope with the battery demands of the cell radio. S3 > S4 will likely have cellular performance increases in the way S0 > S2 had CPU performance increases. We may even see the first design change, there were rumours it was going to be this year - maybe it got pushed for some reason.