Worth Upgrading from the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac3973, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mac3973 macrumors member

Hey all,

I have a 5 and its been great to me. The battery sucks now after being charged so often. If I were to upgrade I would get the 6 as the plus is too big for me, I have a few questions first:

1. Will I really see a big speed boost with the 64 bit chip? I don't game, just surf the web and some basic app use.

2. Is the camera upgrade really significant from the 5 to the 6? Specifically the low light shooting. I know the megapixels have stayed the same, but do the "larger pixels" and true tone flash really make a significant difference?

The touch ID seems like a cool feature, but besides that, and possibly the 64 bit chip/camera and the weight/size/body change it doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade from the 5.

Thanks for your help.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

For me its not, I'd simply replace the battery on your 5 and save the $800+.

The hard part is realizing you don't need a new toy and being able to resist it.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

4. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Truth be told, you can get ~$200 dollars for your 5 and if you're due for an upgrade with your carrier why the hell not?

5. zstern702 macrumors member

if you want the bigger screen then yes after that nothing really will be a huge selling point. if it wasn't for the wife needing a new phone i would have stayed with my 5s or gone to android

6. maverick22 macrumors 6502

OP has exact same question and comments as me.

Not trying to hijack, but I have a great-working 5 (still fast, battery is fine). I am due for an upgrade & can trade it in for ~$200. That's what makes me think "why not" as the deapaul said.

7. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I'm upgrading from a 5S. Every year I can't resist. I sell my phones on eBay and make back enough money that it's basically an upgrade anyway. Win win.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I love my 5 and the battery is still good. I want the bigger screen and my Verizon bill won't go down if I keep the same phone. Take advantage of the subsidy and get it.

9. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If you don't need it or want it don't get it. is it really that hard?

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm in the same boat, but my battery life is good and I can't upgrade until January. I'm waiting to see it for myself and then read the reviews. I also have to weigh if I want the new iPad mini more :D

If you keep the 5, it's still a decent phone in 2014. Not like you have a 4 or 4S that doesn't have LTE. You might check if you qualify for the battery replacement program.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Heck yes it is! I hate the camera on the 5 and very much looking forward to a bigger screen

13. elvistcb macrumors newbie

I think so

It seems to me that the carriers are paying $200-$250 for my 32GB 5. They want people under new contracts, it seems they are paying much more this year! I'm taking the deal. The slate or whatever they called it for the 5 shows and/or scuffs/chips easy...I read it is why they don't have the color any longer. I take good care of my stuff and it still looks like crap from normal use. I would never get $200 for it after looking around on Craig's List so I am taking the upgrade.

Also, if you are on Verizon you can get into the $60 2GB plan if you upgrade which seems to be the best deal for a single line.

And I want the bigger screen on the 6. I went from a HTC Evo to iPhone 5. Love the iPhone but miss that screen size. For me, the 6 is the perfect screen size.

Yes, I am happy with this upgrade though most aren't.

14. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from my 5 to a Galaxy S5 a couple of months ago. I love the screen size and the camera quality. Unfortunately it felt cheap to me and it froze often. I had it for 48 hours and went back to a 5 but this time the S version. The quality of the 5S was better but missed the bigger screen of the S5. I just preordered a 6 hoping the screen size will be enough(which I think it will)

15. mac3973 thread starter macrumors member

looks like i'm getting the 6 then, thanks everyone :cool:

16. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

This is the first time I've haven't felt like I HAD to upgrade. Previous jumps from the 3G to 4, and 4 to 5 were HUGE leaps in technology for me. But this time around, with a perfectly-fine iPhone 5, I'm not feeling that urgent need to upgrade.

Until I'm seeing the $200 or so that I could get for a trade-in.

So that leads to 2 schools of thought...

- Trade in my 5 now, and get a decent chunk to cover 1/3 of a new 6.
    - Wait til I HAVE to get a new phone...in 6 months or a year or whatever, but then I'll get $0 for a trade-in.

That twisted logic convinces me that if I don't upgrade to the 6 soon, I'll be losing money.

How crazy is that? That's the reality-distortion field at play.

17. xXxDieselxXx macrumors member

Same boat however I like having bigger screen but still pocket size also I was sold with the Apple Pay portion.

My wife and I had our CCs hacked this year so I feel AP will make things a bit safer for some time ;)

Other than that I love my 5

18. vitacura macrumors regular

I also have a 5 and I just replaced the battery, so battery life is once again decent. (With my old battery the phone would shut off when it reached 25-27%)
    I am undecided on what to do and decided to wait until I saw them in person first.

19. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm upgrading from my 5 because of Touch ID first, then larger screen and then Apple Pay. I'm tired of having to type in my pass code quickly so no one sees. Plus all the apps that will make use of it in iOS 8 is exciting for me.

20. Shabbis macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 was included the battery replacement program, it's like having a new phone. Maybe yours qualifies. I'll still upgrade to a 6, but I'll wait for the dust to settle and all the reviews to come out.

21. ame8199 macrumors 6502

yep! Im coming from a 5, that i just upgraded last year. I actually checked and it is not eligible for the sleep/wake or battery replacement program. Still don't think my battery is up to par.

And I like new shiny things...

22. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I also have an iPhone 5 right now and it's a perfectly fine phone. I just can't resist upgrading to a new phone every two years no matter how much better it is. I'm particularly excited for the bigger screen, touchID, and potentially better battery life. Also I need more storage than the 16GB I have so I opted to pay the extra for the 64GB iPhone 6.

23. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm with the last 2 posters. I like shiny new things and really excited for a large screen

24. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

You know how easy it is to change a battery right?
    $20 @ Amazon and 10 minutes. Piece of cake. So don't let that be the deciding factor on whether you stick with IP5.