Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j_in_tx

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2018
For the 2020 MBA Intel, how long will Apple support it (in terms of O/S upgrade + security updates)?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
For the 2020 MBA Intel, how long will Apple support it (in terms of O/S upgrade + security updates)?

Only Apple really knows, but Apple will want to move away from bloat in a Universal OS as soon as they can. A lot will depend on the success of  Silicon and how quickly the user base adopts it. Probably 3 more years of OS updates and 5/6 years of security updates. After switching to Intel Apple only released one more Universal OS before dumping PowerPC, but back then OS was only updated every 2 years or so, rather than annually currently.

Reactions: j_in_tx

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I almost bought an i3/i5 air in July 2020. After investigating I found that the fan is always on. So I decided not to buy it.
Then Apple came with the m1, and after some reading , I went for it.
Couldn’t be happier ?

I want a “cheap” Apple Watch , Apple came with the SE.
I wanted a MacBook, Apple came with the m1.

It’s almost like they feel what I want, so hopefully Apple will come with affordable houses here in Holland ????
Good choice for you. The 2020 Intel MBA was hot garbage for me as the fan ran constantly and throttled like crazy. Returned it even before the 14 day return window was up. The M1 MBA OTOH replaced a loaded 2020 MBP 13 i7....

Last edited:

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I have never owned a Mac computer in my life. I’ve been PC Forever! (I still have PC’s) as I’m a PC enthusiast.

Although, when I needed a laptop I jumped straight in for a MacBook Air M1. Full beast mode from a tiny thin and light laptop. 16GB/1TB, 8 Core GPU, what a machine.

These laptops have made history! You can game on them, run just about any kind of
intensive applications on them. All while
unplugged, and running cool with no fan.

What tiny Mac can do that while
being unplugged with no fan?

So either own an M1 and enjoy it, or sit back and wait for something else as the M1 fades away in to history. Regardless, that something else will be twice as expensive. Because its gonna be a while before something this revolutionary comes out again starting at $899/$999.

ignatius345

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2015
I've got the i5 version of the same 2020 Air and am thinking the same thing (though I'm not having the slowness issues the OP is having). The main thing holding me back is the possibility that Apple will come out with a thinner and lighter M1 laptop and I'll regret it.

What I'm hoping for is an M1 version of that super thin Retina MacBook, minus the garbage keyboard, and hopefully with more than one USB port. I'd buy that day 1 and I'd vastly prefer it over the comparatively heavy form factor the Air has now.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2015
Regardless, that something else will be twice as expensive. Because its gonna be a while before something this revolutionary comes out again starting at $899/$999.
The next version of the M1 Air (or its equivalent) will be "twice as expensive"? That will absolutely not be true. If anything, revisions will probably hold around the same price and have better specs. I get that you haven't been buying Macs for long, and if you thought they doubled in price every year, I understand why.

Reactions: Sword86

Bodhitree

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2021
Yeah I have a fresh install. Even took it to an Apple Store but they found nothing wrong. Geek bench scores were normal.

Are you running Google Chrome? The updater installs a piece of software called Keystone which has been known to slow some macs down to a crawl, even when Chrome itself is not running.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
The next version of the M1 Air (or its equivalent) will be "twice as expensive"? That will absolutely not be true. If anything, revisions will probably hold around the same price and have better specs. I get that you haven't been buying Macs for long, and if you thought they doubled in price every year, I understand why.

The next Air will NOT be twice as expensive. What I’m saying is, the next Apple silicon laptop that is released will be twice as expensive as the M1 Air. (M1X or M2 Pro device)

People keep saying, “I’m gonna wait to see what apple releases next“ “or gonna wait on the M1X”

The M1X will most likely cost $2,000 bucks and be a Pro device.

So someone would have a few options.

(1) Buy a macbook M1

(2) wait for the more expensive Apple M1’s coming soon enough

(3) Wait until a Macbook M1 Air replacement comes for $899-$999. (Might be a while is all im saying)

Regardless the M1 Air/ or M1 pro easily warrants an upgrade for anyone considering a new laptop. These machines are incredible. And what’s funny is that they look almost identical to the previous air models. It is amazing what just a really good CPU can do for a machine and the overall experience.

Last edited:

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I'm thinking of the same upgrade - currently have a 2020 i5 MBA that always gives me a tough time with a Thunderbolt dock (USB mouse and keyboard connected to it will stop responding, and then the computer crashes and restarts). However, I need to use 2 external monitors while in clamshell mode and I hear that the M1 MBA does not support 2 external monitors, is that true?

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
I'm thinking of the same upgrade - currently have a 2020 i5 MBA that always gives me a tough time with a Thunderbolt dock (USB mouse and keyboard connected to it will stop responding, and then the computer crashes and restarts). However, I need to use 2 external monitors while in clamshell mode and I hear that the M1 MBA does not support 2 external monitors, is that true?

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I actually just upgraded my wife’s 2020 i5 air to the m1. Cost was not bad at all, luckily apple Canada had some refurbished base m1’s in stock. in all I believe it costed us extra ~$1 (CAD).

some back story for the driver of upgrading. I previously had a 2015 MacBook Pro 13, and decided it was finally time to upgrade. After watching multiple review videos I ended up purchasing a refurb base m1 for myself. First of all the performance is amazing!

After having it for few days, my wife needed me to do some app installs on her i5 air and also check why her laptop slowed down again. After using hers for an hour, I couldn’t believe the difference in performance between the i5 and my m1. She’s notorious for never closing apps nor closing tabs, which was evident when trying to use her laptop. Told her we need to upgrade her laptop right away. Luckily was able to sell her laptop and got her the m1.

after few days of her using the new m1, out of curiosity I wanted to check her performance. As usual she had infinite amount of tabs and multiple apps open. I checked her machine and surprisingly not a single performance impact. Ran some Geekbench benchmark and was showing pretty much same score as mine, which had pretty much nothing running.

she’s much happier, and no longer bugs me saying her laptop is slow again :) on that note, it’s worth the upgrade!

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Well, the apple new product releases have come and gone! The M1 Processor has now been released in an iMac, and a iPad Pro. If you actually need a laptop, there isn't a better time to be alive than right now! The MacBook Air M1 is still the ultimate driving machine lol.

Reactions: Sword86

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
The only actual downsides are the lack of ports, and I wish it was a little small and lighter. It's still a really small and light laptop though, and I doubt Apple will make one much smaller than this. They tried with the 12" MacBook, and I don't think that design is coming back.

I swear to God, the day Apple brings back an M1 in the form factor and approximate weight of the 12" MacBook (smaller bezels would mean a larger screen), I'm buying 10 of them for my team. Apart from the single port and the keyboard, that machine was just about perfect. With an M1 it would last all day long. The new Apple keyboard, two ports — I'd be in heaven.

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2008
I swear to God, the day Apple brings back an M1 in the form factor and approximate weight of the 12" MacBook (smaller bezels would mean a larger screen), I'm buying 10 of them for my team. Apart from the single port and the keyboard, that machine was just about perfect. With an M1 it would last all day long. The new Apple keyboard, two ports — I'd be in heaven.
You ok with the 480p?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
At this point, the dongle and adapter game becomes ridiculous. My two displays are 1080p each so I might as well just upgrade to a single ultrawide monitor and save myself the headache.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Currently have an i3 2020 MacBook Air that’s fans spin up under the slightest of loads and I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading to the M1 Air. It’s probably cost me $350 after I sold the 2020 model. Is it worth it?
I think it is a great idea, IMO.
I have a 2020 Air I5, 8g, 256 and I have only ever heard the fans spin up ONCE. I didn't even think they existed. However, I think it is a dog. It is laggy. I'm forever waiting for it to 'catch up' after I've initiated a mouse click or a swipe on the trackpad. Not forever in reality of course, but longer than a computer should. I'm talking only a second or so but enough to be annoying.
I'm half thinking about selling it and taking the loss and getting an M1. S

Isamilis

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2012
Currently have an i3 2020 MacBook Air that’s fans spin up under the slightest of loads and I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading to the M1 Air. It’s probably cost me $350 after I sold the 2020 model. Is it worth it?
I used Turbo Boost Switcher Pro for last few months. The system is a bit slower but the temp is stable around 45-55 celcius (which is good for battery as well). Agree with Sword86 above, this machine is 'lazy' especially in Big Sur :)

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, I kept my work 2020 MBA i5 on Catalina after seeing the huge impact on performance that Big Sur had on my personal 2015 MBP.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2021
It is not worth it. You have such a new computer, why are you wasting it? Keep it for 4 more years then treat yourself to a good MacBook. Your wallet will say thank you.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I also have a 2020 MacBook Air

Since Ventura upgrade the fans very loud and CPU activity high.

Did already a re-install and SMC reset.

Problem still here, it got much worse with Ventura

What to do?

Reactions: EugW

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

What to do?

When you first install a new Mac OS spotlight has to index the Hard Disk, which can take a while, if you did a wipe and reinstall then the Mac will also need to download any files in iCloud (including your photo library, if kept in iCloud). I would wait a day to see if you still have the same problem.

That having being said the last gen Intel MBA are infamous for fans kicking in, when not doing much. My daughter has one.

Use activity monitor to identify which App(s) are causing processor load. If you have the battery indicator in the menu bar, clicking that will also show you any apps that are draining the battery.

If you use Chrome you may be better off using another browser like Safari, as Chrome is a known resources hog.

You may want to invest in an inexpensive laptop cooling stand / pad.

Reactions: Quotenfrau and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That having being said the last gen Intel MBA are infamous for fans kicking in, when not doing much. My daughter has one.
Hmmm... That's too bad. Which model does she have?

I was considering a used 2020 i5 MBA for my young kid since performance is not a big concern, just OS support. Usage would be surfing, online interactive websites, Zoom, Messages, and simple stuff like that. (We have older less powerful Macs which handle that workload just fine.) M1 is a consideration too, but the M1 MacBook Airs are considerably more expensive. The (much) longer battery life of M1 would be a bonus, but isn't mission critical as it will be mainly used at home.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

What to do?
Have you cleaned the fan? It might be worth a look inside.

Reactions: Quotenfrau
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.