worth upgrading macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Is it worth upgrading to a new macbook pro from a 15 inch 2.4 unibody macbook pro? I would look at a range of macbook pros

1) 13 inch macbook pro
    2) 15 inch macbook pro $1699
    3) 15 inch macbook pro $2000 with graphics card

2. Hoo03 macrumors regular

It sounds like you have a very nice laptop. What are your reasons to upgrade?

3. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

4. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

i would get the refurbished unit. yes id upgrade.

5. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldnt get a used/refurb machine.

6. apull macrumors member

Options 1 and 2 would be a performance downgrade for you in the graphics department. You'd also lose your expresscard.

There's really no compelling reason to upgrade at this point.

7. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I watched the video on apple re the new revolutionary battery. How about upgrading for the battery and better screen?

8. apull macrumors member

that's a question you need to answer yourself.

do you ever find your current battery running out?

do you do serious graphics work?

remember, in 6 months there will be another MBP out with an even better battery and faster specs (core i7?), and you'll be asking this same question.

9. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

but is this battery different and all future batteries will be like this one?

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Sounds like you already have your mind set on upgrading. People have said no, but you are persistent. So if you want to, just do it. I have a 2.4 non-unibody Macbook Pro from mid 2008, and as much as I love getting new things or as sweet as the new technology sounds, there is no real benefit for me to get a new one.

11. iBadger macrumors member

I was also thinking about upgrading but I decided to just hold off until it seems like a better deal. The only big difference is the new battery, I would love to have one but I am going to hold off until we see a new gpu or quadcore.

12. Johnny Apple macrumors newbie

Johnny Apple

Wait for the Matte 13" or 15"

I create graphics for the web and have the original "Collectors Edition" 13" MacBook.

I spent hours at my local Apple store studying the images on my website on several of the new 13" and 15" MacBook Pros.

The image quality on the new laptops is definitely better, but not enough for me to go through the trouble of selling mine and buying one of the new ones.

If Apple offered either the 13" or 15" with a matte screen, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

13. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

is it worth looking at the high end 15 inch macbook pro $2300, with the better graphics card? i am not a gamer but would like to future proof.

14. dentedG4 macrumors member

If you want to be future proof, wait until the future to buy

15. ruku macrumors member

buy an intel SSD and make use of the SATA II data bus that the new uMPB's dont have but your computer does and dont throw your money away until at least usb 3 and the I7 core processors come out as others have said. maybe even consider buying an eSATA express card so you can do something no new uMBP can do.
    EDIT: oh and dont forget to buy a 5 dollar SD card reader to keep up with the newer uMBP's updated feature.

16. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you truly need a new system, then buy it. If you don't, then wait.

Does your current system do what you need it to do? Does the new system offer something you can't truly live without?

Are you using the machine to make a living? How much productivity/time saved does the new machine offer?

You've paid for your current machine, you may get all the use out of it that you can. Max it to 4 gigs of ram if you haven't done so already. You can also either put in a 7200 rpm or ssd drive to give it a performance boost/new car smell feeling.

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

don't waste your money. i'd wait for the new SL and quad-core chips.

well if you want to, like others said, pick up a SSD, and max your ram, get an expresscard SD reader, it will be faster then the new line up.

19. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Any reason?

20. apull macrumors member

looks like you've asked this question before, multiple times. also looks like you've done pretty frequent updates.

if you can't afford it, don't do it.

if you can... it's your money, do what you want with it.