Worth upgrading (maxing out the MacBook?) in my case?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wolfie, Jun 24, 2017.

1. wolfie macrumors regular

So, Ive got the stock 1.3 ghz 512 model (2017) and having doubts on this choice. I can return it and get a CTO.
    Im willing to spend money to a CTO maxing to i7 dual core and 16 RAM if there is likley to be a tangible increase.

What I use my laptop for.

1. Read big file PDF's (medical textbooks). Some of these go up to 1500 odd pages. Occasionally highlight text.
    2. Read lots of other PDF's, medical documents etc. (also highlight)
    3. Safari, iTunes, Mail etc..
    4. Create and read powerpoint and Word documents. Not overly big, about 50 pages on average with images etc..

That is about it.

My biggest concern is RAM. So far, according to my usage patterns, it seems to leave about 2 gig free (using about 6 GIG). Is the 290 dollars worth the future proofing?

Secondly, is that when I scroll through PDF's on my Desktop Mac, or my previous 2016 MBP), I get zero lag or stutteryness. Its a bit more pronounced in the MacBook. Would the Ram and CPU upgrade resolve this?

Thanks.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Definitely worth the upgrade, so far with a maxed Macbook i dont miss my macbook pro at.. i read large pdfs, run virtual machines on it and it running super well.. if you want to keep for the long run its no brainer

3. wolfie thread starter macrumors regular

Upgrade in Ram, CPU, or both?

Secondly, reckon it'll help make the scrolling in these large PDF's as smooth as desktop and MBP laptops or is it inherently a poor powering CPU and Ill have it regardless if I go up to i7 dual core?

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Both IMO as your less likely to trip turbo boost and it will come down faster

5. Jester_ macrumors newbie

Would it really be worth it though, opting for the i7 16gb instead of the i5 16gb?

6. wolfie, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

wolfie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.
    On one hand, I can't see the intensity of my workload changing in the future. Its (the laptop) basically doing everything I want it to do, and my job description is not going to change how I use my computer in my career in the future (medicine).

So, Im still torn. Spend dollars for something that may or may have a visible, tangible increase.
    I do agree though 16 Ram ranks higher than the i7.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

In my opinion 16GB would be a waste for the type of light usage you are describing, and so would the i7.

To see if your current usage patterns require more memory, check the "memory pressure" graph in Activity Monitor. If it stays green, you have enough memory.

8. EugW, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

EugW macrumors 68030

EugW

i7 is a waste here. 16 GB may or may not be helpful.

Are you a medical student? Because if so you can take advantage of education discounts.

9. wolfie, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

wolfie thread starter macrumors regular

I am a medical student. Ive decided not to do it. Save the funds for 2-3 generations time and upgrade then.