Worth upgrading now? Big scenario

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThemeGFX, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ThemeGFX macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2011
    Basically, Ive got 11months on my iphone contract left, for my 3gs 16gb. If i want to upgrade to iphone 4 now, It would cost me £240 upgrade fee, then I'd be paying the exact same amount for the iphone 4, for another 24month contract.

Should I upgrade now, or wait untill my 3gs is over, next February and perhaps get the 4GS/5 or whatever it's going to be then. Money wise, I'm paying £36 a month with a 20% discount applied before, so yeah, what do you think?
  2. SharepointGuy macrumors member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rhode Island
    My opinion would be to go with the upgrade while trying to take advantage of a buy back program if your carrier offers one. This will substantially lower the cost of upgrading to the iPhone 4 and then if you decide you want the iPhone 5, you can sell your Iphone 4 and it would be like paying early upgrade pricing.

I prefer to wait a few months after a product has been released before purchasing, after the Blackberry Storm I know all to well the pain of being on bleeding edge technology. Do what feels right for you.
  3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2010
    Nor Cal, USA
    What's the price difference between a used 4 and 3GS in your area? For me it's about $150-250. That's about the same or less than you'd be paying for the upgrade fee, and with no contract extension.
  4. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    How much will it cost you to upgrade in February?

I don't know, I say wait anyways...
  5. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

May 4, 2010
    I'd wait until the next iPhone is released and hope that voda/O2 etc offer a cheap upgrade offer like they did last year - upgrade now and I imagine you'll be asking this question in 12 months time...
  6. iApples macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2011
    Wait and get the iPhone 5. Why would you want to waste your upgrade on a device that's 10 months old.
  7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2010
    In America

I use an iPhone 3G which i got on the first day of release in 2008.