Worth upgrading Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jackers008, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jackers008 macrumors member

I have recently put 1GB more of ram in my powerbook g4 17" which has helped make it quicker but I am now contemplating fitting a 160GB hard drive as the current one is only 60GB or so. I will also fit a new battery in due time but is it really worth it? I was considering getting a new Macbook Pro 15" but after spending some time on the powerbook it seems more than capable of what I need it for (surfing the internet etc). My main issue is I will be going travelling round the world next year and will want something reliable so will the powerbook do me proud or let me down?

Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no way to say which is going to be more reliable. The PowerBook has help up thus far, but the MacBook Pro is a new computer. The one advantage that the PowerBook holds IMO is that if your battery fails you can easily replace it yourself. However, the MacBook Pro obviously has better battery life.

3. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

17"... no way in hell will you get decent battery life even with a new battery. I would reccomend selling it and getting a 15" like the one in my sig. Its fairly easy as long as its in good condition. 17" Powerbooks are worth more for some reason.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If your current computer is working fine, there is no need to upgrade. If you want to upgrade to a faster computer, the current lineup will blow your G4 away.
    I would advise getting a newer model (or a refurbished one) so that you will have AppleCare which is good worldwide.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If your PowerBook does what you need it to do, and you foresee it continuing to do so for some time after now, I would go ahead and upgrade it. PowerBook G4s still have plenty of life left in them; enjoy your PowerBook!

Posted from my 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 :)