Worth Upgrading to 4.2 on iPod Touch 2g when it comes out?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by barny, Nov 12, 2010.

1. barny macrumors member

Hiya guys. Just wondering if it's worth me upgrading my iPod Touch 2g to the new firmware when it is released? I am not jailbroken and am running 4.1 at the moment. Any feedback from developers testing the 4.2 firmware would be a great help!! :)

Thanks

Barny :apple:

2. appledude555, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

appledude555 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have the 4.2 GM on my iPod Touch 2G and I can tell you that it's not a major update for us 2G users. Here are some things I noticed about the 4.2 OS. Note, these could change by the time the official update is released:

1. Webpage search is missing
    2. Starting the jiggle mode and ending it seems to be a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more delayed then 4.1. Not a huge delay, maybe about half a second, but it's not a big deal. (It may be if you're picky! :p)
    3. I've noticed a tiny performance boost on my end, maybe about 5 to 10%?
    4. In the App Store, it will say whether a game is Game Center enabled (it's kinda built into the app information, if you know what I mean).
    5. Some more restrictions added.
    6. Voice Memos icon changed, looks better than the previous icon, in my opinion.
    7. Two other Note Pad fonts added, both better than the Marker Felt we are all unforunately accustomed to.
    8. Opening folders is a tad bit more snappy.
    9. And some other minor things I saw, like some icons moved around in the photos app, Birthday icon changed in the Calendar app, etc.

As you can see, those are all minor stuff. I also want to mention that I couldn't seem to find AirPlay anywhere.

Thanks, and I hope I helped.

3. Anglican-Mac macrumors member

appledude555, Have you noticed any improvements in speed (or lack thereof), as far as launching applications or boot time?

4. appledude555 macrumors newbie

Launching apps: Maybe very, very, very slightly. Nothing easily noticed, though.

Boot time: Same ^

5. appledude555 macrumors newbie

I also noticed a possible, very slight increase in battery life. Still unsure though.

6. appledude555 macrumors newbie

ALSO, when in jiggle mode, the tiny icons inside the folder icon scroll up to show the bottom of the folder. It helps when you are moving icons into a folder and you aren't sure how much space you have left. With this, you don't have to keep going in and out of the folder to check.

7. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

Jiggle mode on my 2nd Gen iPT on iOS 4.2 now takes inordinately long to activate. The iPod becomes unresponsive after holding an icon long enough to go into jiggle. It takes about 10 seconds before the iPod becomes responsive again and jiggle mode is activated. When pressing home to get out of jiggle mode, it has been taking as long as half a minute to come out of it. Is anyone else out there having these delays? I do notice that the micro-icons within the folder icons scroll down when it first goes into the jiggle mode. This huge lockup and delay is ridiculous and not something I can handle. I need an explanation for why it's doing this, or a fix to solve it. My only theory at this point is that Apple made the function something that is not constantly held in system memory, and only loads the routine when needed. This would help memory issues on older devices such as mine.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Hmm, it seems to take about a second longer than before to enter jiggle mode on mine, but definitely not the kind of delays that you're seeing.

9. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

On all other iOS versions it was instant. I wonder if it has to do with how many apps are installed. About how many do you have installed?

10. appledude555 macrumors newbie

Seems to be instant without many folders.

"On all other iOS versions it was instant. I wonder if it has to do with how many apps are installed. About how many do you have installed?"

Around 40

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Well, depends what you mean by "instant." I include the time it should naturally take to "hold" after tapping, so it should never have been instant to begin with. Not including that, it's still near-instant, but not quite. I have almost 100 apps installed though.

12. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Anyone else notice that browsing in Safari has become very treacle like.

S l o o o o w w.

:(

13. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I have to agree with this.
    The battery lasted a long time until I switched to 4.1, now with 4.2, it seems to be where it was before.

14. jmssmith317 macrumors newbie

ALSO, when in jiggle mode, the tiny icons inside the folder icon scroll up to show the bottom of the folder. It helps when you are moving icons into a folder and you aren't sure how much space you have left. With this, you don't have to keep going in and out of the folder to check.

15. bevhoward macrumors member

I noticed that on the 2nd gen, the settings/general/accessibility option is gone.

Unfortunate since one of my hopes was that the upgrade would allow three finger tap screen zooming.

A couple of the other accessibility options in the old version will be missed as well.

Beverly Howard

16. iAppTime macrumors newbie

I really don't think it's worth upgrading. Like some people said before, the jiggly mode activates very slow. And Apple didn't even give us Safari search!

17. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

18. dtblaze macrumors regular

You should wait until they fix stability issues. When i upgraded to 4.2.1 iOS the ipod touch 4g sometimes crashes when listening to music. There are also other problems.

19. bevhoward, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

bevhoward macrumors member

Safari Search

Finally looked at apple's 4.2 notes and the one item that makes it worthwhile to update to 4.2 is the ability to search within the current page displayed in Safari.

Not easy to find though... you make an entry in the search engine textbox, then scroll down to the bottom of the suggestions to the "in this page" option.

OOPs, scratch that for the 2G... no search, print, etc on that one.

Beverly Howard