Worth upgrading to a 2nd gen Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by atomheartmother, Dec 13, 2008.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

I have a first generation Touch and am contemplating upgrading to a second generation. My main thought here is that the warranty is about to expire, and I'd likely get another year of AppleCare for it regardless. Or I can sell the Touch for around $170ish and buy a new 2nd gen one, which can be gotten for under $210 shipped on eBay. That way I get another year warranty (with the ability to expand it another year down the road) and I get all the new features of the 2nd generation. But are they really worth it? Would it be worth the hassle? I can get Applecare on eBay for $26.50.

I can only assume I'd have to buy a new case for the Touch as the 1st gen cases wouldn't fit (with the speaker and exterior volume control and all. Would I also have to buy 2.0 for $10 all over again too?

2. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

For what it's worth, that's just what I did today. eBay'd my 1st-gen touch and bought a 2nd-gen today (I had iPod envy because I got my wife a 2nd-gen for her birthday back in October and she loves it). So far it's great; I really like the external volume buttons and the thinner shape. Worth it? Yeah, I'd say so...but that's my personal opinion, others might differ.

Yeah, you'll need a different case because the shape is very different (and the external buttons, as you noted).

3. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

The 2nd gens come with 2.0 software if I'm correct.

4. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

That's right, you asked about that, too. Mine came with 2.1.1, so you won't have to do the $10 upgrade again, like ThunderBull said.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

I was really disheartened when I received my 2g, I couldn't believe how yellow and fuzzy looking the screen looked compared to my 1g.

My 1g has a crystal clear bright display. For some reason Apple chose to change the colour temp to what can best be described as it looks like your dog has peed on your screen.

You do get used to it though.....that is until you see a 1g....then you get depressed about the yellow tint again.