Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I have a mid-2017 MacBook Pro TB 512SSD w/macOS Sierra 10.12.6. Is it worth upgrading now? Are most of the bugs and security flaws ironed out?

The main benefit I am looking for is the new AFS. Are there any other things in High Sierra worth upgrading for? Also, would a fresh install be better than a normal install like iOS? Or it doesn't matter? Since my computer is still new, I haven't added anything new to it yet in terms of software. Only a backup of my iPhone, and a couple of games.

Thanks!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What games? Both Feral and Aspyr have posted a list of issues with their games. Personally, I would wait. APFS is important in the long run, but not something you’ll notice.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
What games? Both Feral and Aspyr have posted a list of issues with their games. Personally, I would wait. APFS is important in the long run, but not something you’ll notice.

Starcraft 1+2 and LoL. I rarely play so it wouldn't be a problem if they have hiccups in the new build.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I upgraded and regret, it took me a sleepless night... The clean install wasn't that clean. :D
APFS needs more refinement, e.g. Adobe's software doesn't play well with HS yet. Memory leaks using an external monitor also occurred. I'm hoping that .1 update will at least smooth a few problems. My production machine is still running 10.12.6. I'm not touching that.

Reactions: ssmed

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Also make sure all the apps you use are compatible before you upgrade. I'm waiting until there's a software update for my Fujitsu scanner, supposedly coming in December.

Reactions: colodane

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I have a mid-2017 MacBook Pro TB 512SSD w/macOS Sierra 10.12.6. Is it worth upgrading now? Are most of the bugs and security flaws ironed out?

The main benefit I am looking for is the new AFS. Are there any other things in High Sierra worth upgrading for? Also, would a fresh install be better than a normal install like iOS? Or it doesn't matter? Since my computer is still new, I haven't added anything new to it yet in terms of software. Only a backup of my iPhone, and a couple of games.

Thanks!
upgraded from Mavericks yesterday on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) so I could restore a backup from my ephor 6 to my new iPhone X was very reluctant but had no choice, I'm running version 10.13.1 and have had zero issues so far, I throughly recommend it

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Installed 10.13.1 on my late 2016 MBP with Touch Bar last night and haven't encountered any issues. The people telling you to wait until .3 or .4 are being very conservative.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Installed 10.13.1 on my late 2016 MBP with Touch Bar last night and haven't encountered any issues. The people telling you to wait until .3 or .4 are being very conservative.

I have the same computer and I was considering upgrading so I guess I'm going to take your word and upgrade this weekend !

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have five machines at home with 10.13.1 High Sierra on them. I’m happy.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I have the same computer and I was considering upgrading so I guess I'm going to take your word and upgrade this weekend !

I'm encountering a minor Reminders notification bug [started a separate thread], but after a few hours of use, no real issues. Mail and Safari both seem a little faster; haven't used iTunes or iPhoto much yet.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I have a work critical 2010 Mac Pro with almost 300 apps installed which haven't had a clean install since 2012 with 10.7 Lion! I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.1, and apart from slower boot times, it seems to be working exactly as it did on Sierra. My MBP is also fine. So I wouldn't worry about upgrading at this point, especially a 2017 Mac.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
As someone who has upgraded and had a few performance and stability issues (see my recent post about primary/secondary displays), yet not really used any of the new features, I'd say wait unless you have a new feature you're heart-set on using.

Right now it's too much of a pain to downgrade, but if I had not upgraded already, I'd stick with Sierra for a few more months. Luckily it seems swapping my primary display back to the iMac's internal display has solved my issues. For now.

EDIT: My iMac at work, which I administrate (being IT and all) is still on Sierra. I don't plan on upgrading that until I have to. So I'm following my own advice, at least a bit. :)

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Because EugW and others told that they hadn't problems with High Sierra, I tried to install it on a test HD drive from my Mac Pro 5,1 6 core with a Geforce 980 today.
I wanted to avoid APFS. I was afraid for problems with the NVidia webdriver, but since all the last updates a lot has been improved. I didn't experience any nightmares about continuous boot loop and slow writing speeds on SSDs.
Boot and shutdown time increased however. It was a surprise that Parallels 11 seemed to work, but I had serious compatibility problems with Word (Office 2011) and Filemaker Pro 11.
I did some benchmark tests (Cinebench, Geekbench and Heaven) and I got approx. the same results as in Sierra.
Perhaps I will clone the HS partition to an SSD and use High Sierra on HFS+ in the near future. The advantage is that I can still switch to my El Capitan and Yosemite partition in this case.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Upgraded my MBP 2017 yesterday with 10.13.1. Took about one hour and went through without issues. No change in boot time but Safari feels a bit sluggish at times. I went through with it because I wanted the S3 to unlock the Mac again - otherwise I would have likely held out. Don't see any particular benefit of HS vs Sierra yet.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Upgraded from Mavericks only issue I had was initially when it went to sleep overnight I had to reboot the computer, this seems to have gone. Away now and have had no other issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.