Worth upgrading to Samsung 840 pro or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by headviking, May 24, 2013.

1. headviking macrumors member

I have a 2009 2.26GHz mbp with 160g HD and 8mg of ram. Am I better off just replacing the HD with a Samsung SSD 840 none pro 250G or will i get better performance with the 256g pro? The difference is about $80.00.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'd be more than fine with the regular 840. The average consumer doesn't need the Pro version. I have the regular and it's great.

3. headviking thread starter macrumors member

But will my mbp see a difference in the pro?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No it won't. The Pro version generally provides for greater longevity for excessive daily writes. The regular version can last for a minimum of 7 years writing 10GiB per day.

Check out the Samsung 840/840 Pro thread for much more detail.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

For a 2009 MBP? Highly unlikely that you will see enough of a difference between the 840 and 840 Pro to justify the added cost of the latter.

Between the two, and for that system, I would just get the 840.

6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

With a 2009 SATA II connection, you're going to be maxed out well-below the capabilities of any current SSD. Thus the only reason you'd want the Pro is because its MLC as opposed to TLC, which theoretically means that it'll be more reliable for a longer period of time. But it's not likely to make a real world difference unless to do TONS of writes on a regular basis or plan on keeping your 2009 MBP for more than another 5 years or so.

____

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Since you're stuck on SATA II, speed differences between the 840 and 840 pro are minimal. However, the 840 pro is more reliable than the 840 because it uses MLC instead of TLC flash. MLC writes 2 bits per "cell" while TLC writes 3 bits per "cell." As a result, TLC wears out faster.

8. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. This is exactly the info I needed to hear.

9. amit715 macrumors member

i have the pro version and its amazingly fastttt! im pretty sure the non pro version is just as great so either way you'll be fine.if money isnt a huge factor go for the pro