worth upgrading to the faster (not SSD) hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Buying my first Mac this afternoon at an Apple Store. Getting a 15" MBP, 2.8 Ghz, 4.0 Gb. I'm getting the 500 Gb traditional hard drive. $50 to upgrade to the faster hard drive doesn't sound too bad, but I've read a few threads about beeping and clicking in the faster HD's. Is this problem widespread? Is there a noticeable speed difference with this HD upgrade?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For $50 iThink this is one of the better upgrades. I know in one of your other posts you mentioned buying in store, you cannot do BTO in store. I mean you can, but the Store does not offer them in stock, they still have to be shipped, so it would be the same as ordering at home :D.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thanks. I think I'm still going to buy in the store - I want to support my local Apple Store. Not to mention, I want to get it today. :D

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you want it today, you will only get the stock model.

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Avoid the 500GB 7200RPM drive like the plague. I have personally gotten two with the beeping problem, and Apple's Discussion forums has a 45 page thread of people with the same problem. Plus, Apple is know calling this beeping 'normal' and refusing to fix it.