Worth upgrading to the new 2015 13 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phospholipid1, Mar 11, 2015.

  1. phospholipid1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    #1
    I recently have received a 2014 13 inch retina MacBook pro as an upgrade from Apple. The laptop comes with the 500gb ssd and 16gb ram. I'm a computer science student so that's the main use of the laptop. I am thinking seeing as the new ones have been announced to sell this laptop and perhaps get the 256 and 8gb option with the money. Just wondering on the opinion of this or if I should just keep the current one? I will be doing a little gaming but nothing extravagant and I plan to use this laptop for at least 4 years

    Thanks for all the opinions.
     
  2. CDutch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #2
    I have a base level mid 2010 MBP which I've done some after market grades to. I could probably go another year with the machine but I'd like to upgrade. I think my angle is going to be to buy a refurb of the current generation when they come available in a couple months. Then once USB-C makes it to the MBPs or the new MacBook gets better specs, I'll sell it and upgrade. Buying refurb should really help the net cost based on what I buy and what I sell it for.
     
  3. Raunien macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    #3
    Not worth it in my opinion. You are not gaining anything significant other than the force-touch trackpad, which you may not even like.
     
  4. jclardy macrumors 68040

    jclardy

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    #4
    I'm not sure why you would want to take the downgrade in SSD/RAM, unless you are in your return window I would stick with the 2014.

    The CPU upgrade will be barely noticeable, and yes, the new SSD is faster but you won't notice that unless you are running them side by side.

    Having 16GB of RAM could be nice if you are going to be running any VM's or other RAM intensive software like that.
     
  5. chipchen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    #5
    Completely agree.
     
  6. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
  7. Ojisan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    #7
    You are in the same boat as me except I haven't received my 2014 model yet. I've decided that I'm going to cancel my order when it arrives and order a 2015 model. I just can't justify paying $2000 for last years model when I could walk out of the Apple store today with a 2015 model. Plus seeing all these people getting good deals on refurbished 2014 models has also factored into my decision.
     
  8. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    #8
    The problem is, mine was a replacmenet product froma pple - so I cannot return it. I have to sell it on eBay and use the money to buy a new 2015 model, or keep it.
     
  9. Ojisan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    #9
    In that case I say keep it.
     
  10. chipchen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    #10
    If you're literally within 30 days... and there's a current SKU (exact same model) at the Apple Store locally, go in and talk with a manager... they may be able to do something for you. Assuming they carry the EXACT model you have (that's the only way they can return it into their system), you're looking at 50/50 if you're within 30 days.
     
  11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas

Share This Page