Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalexgray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I'm looking for some advice. I have an early 2008 MacPro, 2x 2.8 GHz quad core Xeon with 6 GB memory. A year or so back I upgraded the graphics card to a GT 120. I don't use the Mac Pro for any really heavy lifting like video editing.

I'm thinking I could add more memory and perhaps an SSD OR I could save and buy an iMac in a year or so. Is my machine worth upgrading?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I'm looking for some advice. I have an early 2008 MacPro, 2x 2.8 GHz quad core Xeon with 6 GB memory. A year or so back I upgraded the graphics card to a GT 120. I don't use the Mac Pro for any really heavy lifting like video editing.

I'm thinking I could add more memory and perhaps an SSD OR I could save and buy an iMac in a year or so. Is my machine worth upgrading?

This machine is quite old, but it's still powerful. You don't need to upgrade because it's going to be outdated in a year. Save for an iMac instead.

dalexgray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice! I'll just hang tight until this old Mac can't keep up.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
SSD is always a good investment. Even when you'll get rid of MP, you can use SSD in another machine.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
SSD is always a good investment. Even when you'll get rid of MP, you can use SSD in another machine.

I totally agree - SSD's are not that expensive nowadays and it will make the machine seem a whole lot faster and more responsive.

Also It can be used for a future machine, as an external or as an extra selling point when you eventually do decide to sell on for a newer model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.