worth using a notebook cooler?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jiffry1017, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jiffry1017 macrumors member

Hey,

I just bought a new MBP and I have been running SMC Fan Control. My MBP idles around 55-60 degrees celsius at 2551 RPM so is that normal?

My main question is I have a notebook cooler (three fans), is it worth using it on my MBP? Doesn't seem like there's really any vents on the MBP. I think the vents are where the screen hinge is?

thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The main vent is in the back, I have found that using a notebook cooler is pretty worthless.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The only system that benefit with a notebook cooler is the MacBook Air. The lower panel is used as a heat spreader and therefore cooling it would greatly decrease the temps.

55-60 deg C is NOT hot. The system can reach a maximum temperature of 105 deg C before any damage is incurred.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

How does a laptop cooler work? My mom got a Studio 1537 last month and it gets pretty warm. I'd like to know if a laptop cooler is worth the ~$20.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

blows air onto the lower panel. PCs usually have vent holes on the bottom, if so that would help with cooling. Macs generally have no holes on the bottom so a laptop cooler is generally useless unless the lower panel is used for passive cooling

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I use my MB on top of my bed most of the time and I tried out a cooling mat and I didn't like it.

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Use software called CoolBook, I was skeptical and bought it today, and WOW does it make a difference!

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I see. Do these need to be plugged in or do they use batteries or do they not require power?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They get their 5V power from the USB port.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Nifty.

Is there any brand that is better than others, or is it safe to get the cheap one at Target?

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

using my Zalman aluminum cooler i get about 10c off my overall temp.. it makes it easy on the inner fans, when i use hulu and i dont turn on the zalman the inner fans go crazy and when i turn it back on they ease up and the temp comes back down. so yes it does help my mbp a lot.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Can you test that Zalman out on top of your bed and see if the fans do push air up on it? Those pads looks pretty sick being made out of Silver Aluminum.

[​IMG]

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

no it would not work on a bed only on a desk. i have the black version.