Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
So, :apple:TV supposedly supports 1080i.

But do you guys see apple releasing a 1080p version in the near future?

I tried to read about it,but couldnt find any definate opinions if apple would release it even if it would be technically possible.

So.

-Is it in apples intrest to release one?
-What would be the quality difference between the 1080i/p? Would there emerge some other technical difficulties that would negate the quality difference?

Reason for asking this is that I will get a full hd 1080p television and projektor in the next few weeks.

I am considering to get the aTV too,but was a bit hesitant about it´s capabilities.
And most of all,dont know if I really need it...but I´m a tech whore.
:D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

Personally, I wouldn't wait specifically for the aTV to get 1080p output. However, I'd be more inclined to wait for the aTV to be able to handle 1080/24p material. Right now, the aTV supports media up to 720/24p (max 5Mbps).

I would think that the next-gen aTV might get support for 1080/24p at say, 10 Mbps. That would allow for a good balance between video quality and download speed.

The main thing that I'm waiting for is HD material from the iTS. I've given up on aTV supporting MPEG-2 streams recorded via ATSC/QAM. If they get the movie studios on board and offer HD downloads, then I'm jumping in.

ft

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
1. But do you guys see apple releasing a 1080p version in the near future?

2. Is it in apples intrest to release one?
3. What would be the quality difference between the 1080i/p? Would there emerge some other technical difficulties that would negate the quality difference?

I am considering to get the aTV too,but was a bit hesitant about it´s capabilities.

Ok, so here's my best shot:
1. No. The addition of more pixels will not fix what is wrong with apple tv: not enough content, too difficult to get content on it, not really a mass-market, living room device yet.
2. No. See answer #1 above. They have to spend more time solving the content problem.
3. None. 1080 is 1080, p or i. I know people will argue, but the screen on all 1080 units is built in a buffer and displayed as progressive anyway.

If you are hesitant about the capabilities of Apple TV, DO NOT BUY ONE. Anyone who buys one and expects some update, upgrade, or magic from Apple is doing themselves a disservice.

I own one and LOVE it. I use it for watching ripped and converted DVDs, listening to my music, and watching the occasional YouTube.

I wouldn't give it up. But then, my expectations for the device were dictated by what was listed on the box -- not by my wish list. :)

-- Mikie

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
not based on any fact, but just logic, but i dont see any moves being made by apple as far as a refresh until HD content is available on itunes. only then will they take the opportunity to up the apple tv

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
With the exception of some movie trailers you can watch on Apple's website, I'm guessing you have no 1080p content stored on your computer's hard drive. As such, why would you need a 1080p AppleTV? Also, the quality difference between 720p and 1080p is pretty minor unless you're viewing a large image from a close distance (like, say, a 60'' screen from 8' away). I realize you might fit the bill for that if you're getting a 1080p projector, but consider these facts.

1. If you want an AppleTV, you could benefit from having it sooner rather than later.
2. There is nothing wrong with 720p, this is still better-than-DVD quality.
3. There is no reason to believe that Apple has a 1080p AppleTV coming out in the foreseeable future.
4. Relative to 1080p equipment, the AppleTV is pretty inexpensive. If you want the highest quality video available, I'm guessing you'd have no trouble buying an AppleTV now, and another if/when a 1080p version comes out.

(I believe that 802.11n is insufficient bandwidth for uncompressed streaming of 1080p video. Moreover, there is good reason to believe that the processor in the AppleTV is not suited to decode 1080p video. For both of these reasons, a 1080p AppleTV would be possible but impractical for Apple to make. My hope is that Apple is planning to add WHDI to their future product lines, which if it happens could take the form of an updated AppleTV, but perhaps just as likely would mean the elimination of the AppleTV product, and the need to purchase a new computer.)

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005

I tried to read about it,but couldnt find any definate opinions if apple would release it even if it would be technically possible.

So.

-Is it in apples intrest to release one?
-What would be the quality difference between the 1080i/p? Would there emerge some other technical difficulties that would negate the quality difference?

Reason for asking this is that I will get a full hd 1080p television and projektor in the next few weeks.

ATV hasn't really caught on yet so I doubt they will move to 1080p. It takes A LOT of horsepower to read true 1080p and with the 1GHz chip, I'm surprised it does 720p so well. I really don't think that true 1080p adoption will happen until next Christmas. It's just too expensive (confusing) for the average user right now.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
cheers dudes/dudettes!

It is as I was suspecting.

1080p as a format is quite challenging. Yes the size only is a challenge let alone the stream speed etc..
I was thinking of purchasing a PS3 for BR use,apparently it is a quite good player too,for what I have read. So maybe I reserve it for gaming/movie use with the projector, and designate the LCD tv with a apple tv for general media useage.

I know I would survive without the apple tv,but the whole concept is so intresting,that I think I might invest in it and explore it a bit.
I am in a lucky situation that practically have to build up my home-entertainment system. Not only for leisrure,but I have to be a bit more on the edge professionally wise too.

Thanks again for the toughts and feedback!

TheBigS

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
Canada
Ive got one up here in Canada and love it. I think I would use it a lot more if we could get friggen tv shows or movies on the itunes store. :mad:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Don't Hold Your Breath

The Apple TV might get 1080P, however the reason will likely be to support higher Picture quality output. Apple designed the original unit to support 720p for a reason (likely because eventually HD will be on iTunes). If Apple planned on presenting full 1080P downloads from iTunes, the original Apple TV likely would have had it...this does not mean Apple isn't changing their minds, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon...what the Apple TV needs most is software feature updates.

Jdot

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2007
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
i wouldn't expect 1080p content for one reason and that is that 1080p content won't even be able on broadcast TV for a very long time the bandwidth required exceeds what is currently available through regulations. I would just buy the current one although I'm waiting until Christmas because models with larger storage capacity are coming out =D.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
i wouldn't expect 1080p content for one reason and that is that 1080p content won't even be able on broadcast TV for a very long time the bandwidth required exceeds what is currently available through regulations. I would just buy the current one although I'm waiting until Christmas because models with larger storage capacity are coming out =D.

That's not the point. Besides, the aTV doesn't handle the broadcast formats anyway. The 720p flavor that aTV supports is 24fps, not 60fps.

There's no reason that the aTV can't support 1080/24p material, other than computing power and hardware price. You don't need a 40 Mbps stream (i.e. BluRay/HD-DVD), you could probably get by with 10Mbps.

ft

gn!uz

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Skip the appleTV and buy a MacMini with Leopard. Frontrow 2.0 is VERY nice and it an delivers most of your wishes.. And, updates WILL come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.