Worth waiting for Arrandale? Or make first switch to Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nahsor, Jun 15, 2009.

1. nahsor macrumors member

I have been a (frustrated) Windows user for the past 10 years and I finally have saved enough (I am a college student) to switch to a Mac. However, now all the talks about Arrandale has got me on the fence. Most people are saying it won't be released until Q1 '10 so is it worth waiting? Does Apple do well with 1st gen hardware? Because this has definitely not been the case with windows and if this similar with apple, then I would want to wait anyways. Right now I can get the free ipod touch (w/ student discount) and an updated Peryn processor at a great price. Plus, weren't they planning to upgrade to Sandy Bridge in 2010 also? I am not really planning any heavy use, just perhaps some accounting programs and light gaming. What do you guys think?

I am a Mac noob so any opinions/help would be appreciated :p

2. Joruus macrumors member

Like you surely have read here, wait a few more weeks at least until that SATA mess is cleared up. If you want a real speed Boost (since the switch to Intel there wasn't really a big increase of Computing Power) with also better battery life, i am sure the wait is well worth it. If someone cares, ill replace my by then 6 year old Notebook when Arrandale comes :)

3. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

1. There's no guarantee Apple will use Arrandale as soon as it comes out. It's possible they'll, it's possible they won't. They didn't use Penryn immediately. They have reasons to wait this time.

2. You'll get all sorts of horrid revision A stories in a moment, I believe.

3. If you need it, buy it. Out of curiosity - what model are you considering?

4. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

If you want/can wait a year for arrandale to come out then do it. But remember when arrandale is out there will be a new proc architecture that you can wait just another year for. It never ends.

5. shawmanus macrumors member

I am sure when arrandale is out we will hear stories of sandy bridge designed by same team as merom architecture is such an amazing chip with 40% greater performance and blah-blah-blah.

I think cpu's currently in the market are much more than what 95% of the market requires.

6. Joruus macrumors member

We are using the same Proc for over 1.5 years now. Nothing really changed since C2D back then. Or when did those MacBooks come?

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

For notebooks, wait for Arrandale.

For desktops, upgrade now.

8. nahsor thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is what I am thinking too. Production might push it back another year. I was considering the 15" midrange with 2.66. The problem is that right now I have a crappy (really really crappy) Toshiba laptop that is literally falling apart. I could try to make it last another year but I am scared that might be asking too much. The sad part is that I bought it in August 07 with (unfortunately) Vista. After watching it crash every week and being infected with viruses, I was ready to impulse buy the second Apple updated (more like refreshed) the macbooks.

I am a (poor) college student and so if I am dishing out 2,000, I would like something that would last at least 3 years (not a problem with Apple's track record) and still not be completely (in ways it will be the second I click the order button) ancient (hence the dilemma). Is Arrandale really going to be that much better than Peryn off the bat?

Plus keep in mind my extremely (don't know if I can say this enough) crappy current computer situation.

9. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Penryn processors are used in MBPs since early 2008, so not quite 1.5 years yet. Earlier C2Ds were Meroms (same architecture, but 65nm).

10. 8theapple macrumors regular

I say if you need it now, then go ahead and purchase it. The MBPs were just updated recently so the next realistic update won't be till early to mid 2010. If you need one for school, then it would probably be beneficial for you to purchase a notebook within the next couple of months.

If you can wait, wait. If not, then buy on a "needs" basis.

11. Joruus macrumors member

Then wait till next Year, what you can buy now is old Tech, USB 3, SATA III, FireWire whatever, are gonna get a huge Speed bump soon. That will last you 5+ Years then :)

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Arrandale is reportedly 10% faster than Core 2 on the SuperPi benchmark.

13. 8theapple macrumors regular

After reading that, it sounds like you should pull the trigger. A C2D will be able to last you for at least 3 years before possibly thinking of an upgrade. Consider your computer an investment as it will be helping you through school (or not, depending on how much it will distract you also lol). If cost is a big issue, then maybe sacrificing screen real estate and going down to a 13" MBP might be a possibility. The money you save, you could buy a cheap external monitor that you can use in your dorm or at home, and just carry the 13" MBP to campus and for daily academic acitivites.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Either way, we've been using the core architecture since mid 2005. It will have been nearly 5 years when Apple upgrades to Arrandale. This will be a significant boost to CPU's, seeing as Grand Central in SL will allow for multi-core CPU's to perform single tasks by divying up the work to different cores. In addition, Arrandale are quad-cores with dual-threading, meaning that the new computers will virtually have 8 (!) 'cores'.

15. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I decided to purchase in March. I couldn't be more happier with my MBP. Next year, I'll purchase an Intel SSD when prices come down.

16. Joruus macrumors member

You wait for Arrandale because it brings two more Threads to the CPU at the same time. Grand Central = Threat Management galore. It should be anywhere between 10% to 50% Faster. HyperThreading back in the day for multithreaded Applications gave you a 25%+ Boost.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I game on my 2007 MBP - even the latest games. If I were you OP, I wouldn't wait at all, these new Macs are very high performance, especially those GT card ones... nearly as tasty as cake.

18. Joruus macrumors member

Well yes, you usally buy Stuff when there is a need, but when a Arch overhaul is only a few months away i would hesitate, like i do now, i wanted to buy one of these 13" MBP to replace my 12" PB but well, ill wait till the Arch change. Nvidia also released new Mobile GPU's just know, want one of those :)

19. OddHead macrumors member

Worth waiting almost anothr upgrade to current line: SATA II, more powerful CPUs, and most of all better (also integrated) graphics. Arrandale will be a big step in laptop performance, but Rev. A is always quite dangerous...

20. 8theapple macrumors regular

Arch overhaul on Apple's notebook product line in a few months? Are you in a dream state? You can guarantee that won't happen. Your 12" PB is probably more capable than the OP's falling apart Toshiba so you may have the luxury of waiting.

And I wouldn't want to buy Rev A either. That's my own personal experience, even though some have had good luck with their Rev A prodcuts.

21. Joruus macrumors member

Got a Rev. A Alu iMac here, of course the GPU died after 3 weeks of excessive Gaming and no use of smc Fan Control. Even the Replacement can't stand much heat over a long Time when its over 25°C in my Room during the Summer :/

22. nahsor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input! All the conflicting views have given me many ideas. I am not really interested in an external monitor so switching down to the 13" doesn't make much sense for me. 15" would be the perfect size.

With all the arguments and the bechmark scores, I think I'll wait for Arrandale. Giving a year should be enough to work out the kinks (right?). Then get a nice midrange, and keep that for 4 or more years. Althought it will be tough sticking with my toshiba (w/ Vista :() for another year (hopefully less). I just can't wait to dump windows and switch to Mac! Maybe I'll try to score an Iphone for christmas (yay gift giving holidays!) to hold me over for a while :p

Of course, if my computer just dies within that time then I'll have no option but to switch to the ones available so I guess my decisions is not as definite...

I just recently joined this website and was apprehensive as to how I would be treated considering I had no background with Macs but thanks for all the help! Hopefully, I won't be a mac noob much longer :D

23. Joruus macrumors member

When you really want a mac now, try to get a hold of a used 12" pb or ibook, they for sure aren't the strongest these days but they should be as expensive as a Netbook/iPod now.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Early/mid 2006. Arrandale is dual-core with 4 threads, Clarksfield is quad-core with 8 threads.

SuperPi is single-threaded so I'd expect more than 10% more performance in multithreaded tasks.

25. sfinnerty macrumors newbie

Given the current state of your laptop I would say order one now. While I have been known to want a new computer every two years it is more because of the "oh...look, shiney" than actually being based on need. I have a Nov 2006 MacBook Pro that I have maxed out memory (3 gig) and I put in a larger and faster hard drive. It still more than meets my needs and is as solid as the day I bought it. Will I buy a new MacBook Pro next year after the new processor comes out? Possibly, but I would be fooling myself if I said it was because my current laptop was not meeting my needs. I could easily get 5+ years out of my current model.

As someone else posted, next year something better will be in the works. The cycle never ends. So the question usually is are you buying it based on "need" or "greed"?

Fin