Worth waiting for Haswell MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Jun 8, 2012.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

If this is the case:
    [​IMG]

Is it worth waiting for Haswell? I've heard (Haven't done much research into this, apologies for my ignorance) that Haswell will bring massive performance and battery-life saving gains, and according to the image, which may be true (Consolidation of line may mirror the MacBook Aluminium --> MacBook Pro 13" a few years back).

I'm in a strange situation right now. I damaged my MacBook Pro 15" (First unibody MBP from late 2008) irreparably (Screen damage from thermoflask) so I bought a MacBook Air 11" this April, a few months before the expected refresh of the MacBook lines.

I'd really like to swap back to a MacBook Pro 15" (power gains, and if the news of the redesign is true, thinner and lighter, which is what I like most about the MacBook Air).

However, I do not necessarily have to swap now because 1) I have a MacBook Air 11" now 2) Haswell may bring big performance gains.

Opinions on this? Is Haswell worth waiting for? I'm not in an immediate need for a new MBP but would like to know more.

Thanks in advance.

2. JalenMc macrumors newbie

If I wasn't going to college nor needed a laptop, then I would wait for Haswell. Just saying.

3. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

technically wouldn't every next generation be worth waiting for?

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Maybe I'm just old school but isn't hanging on to your money as long as you realistically can always a good thing?

5. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I think what the OP is really trying to understand is what potential benefits will Haswell brings compared to Ivy Bridge so he can make a decision to buy the nw models coming out or wait for next year.

I'm interested in this too but I think the best is to read up on Haswell.

*runs off to google Haswell*

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

No, no, no... wait for Broadwell!

Wait, no... hold out for Skylake!

Scratch that... just save up for Skymont!!11

:rolleyes:

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, then don't buy it. :)

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What if you want it? Really badly? WHAT THEN? THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!!! IT IS 2012... RUN PEOPLE!!! DO PANIC!!!

8. Vctr macrumors regular

I get that its annoying that people pose the "Should I wait?" question a lot ... but the same canned response that you provided is equally annoying.

To the OP, you admitted that you're not in an immediate need for a new MBP, so I suggest that you wait. You already have an 11" Macbook Air that is perfectly capable. Whether or not you get gadget lust once you see the new MBP ... is another question.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you wish to upgrade at haswell too you could always look for a good deal on the base 15" or a refurb, then sell it next year. The lower end versions in a given size aren't likely to depreciate as much given that changes between cpu architecture and graphics card generations can outpace the differentiation between different models today.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Buy one on Monday, if you like Haswell models then sell it and buy a Haswell model. Waiting a year for Haswell is a bit silly at this point unless you really don't need a laptop.

11. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

You'll see next week.

12. XX55XX macrumors regular

Apparently, Haswell is going to feature some beastly integrated graphics, so it might be worth waiting...

13. TSE macrumors 68030

If you need a MacBook Pro now, buy it when the new ones come out next week.

If you can wait a year, wait a year. Haswell will be a bigger jump from Ivy Bridge than Ivy Bridge was from Sandy Bridge.

14. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

After some googling, this seems to be right on. Personally, I'm not in a position to wait because I am laptopless right now, but I may just get a refurb for now. I'll decide after the Monday event.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same old advice really fits.

If you can wait and don't need a new computer then wait. If you need one, well then buy one.

There will always be a newer better computer model around the corner. Get one when you need one

16. jcpb macrumors 6502a

No. There is always something better in the horizon i.e. 14nm Haswell.

If you keep waiting you will never get anything.

/thread

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

18. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Best course of action if you have the money to cover the remaining cost:

Buy now > sell > buy as a new model comes > sell > buy as a new model comes...

Rinse and repeat.

If you're struggling with the economy, stay away from sites that talk about "newer and better" and just love your current machine.

19. children macrumors regular

20. pragmatous macrumors 65816

What good is money if it just sits in your bank account?

----------

I'm waiting until 2016 for skywalker quantum - first quantum chip that does 4qbits per nanosecond.

21. Exio macrumors regular

Intel updates on a tick-tock cycle, with the tick being a major upgrade and the tock being a less significant one essentially. Ivy bridge is a tock, so yes Haswell will be a pretty good improvement. However I don't recall it as ever being announced yet...and seeing as IB just came out, it will probably take awhile for Haswell to be launched. Do what you want honestly, the facts are there, but you can;t always be waiting for the next biggest and greatest thing as that is a huge money sink, and judging by the way technology is moving today, not necessary.

22. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Exactly. The next "Tick" is being worked on in a development lab right now. It's not even completed let alone a product anyone can contemplate evaluating or buying yet. It might be a stinker like Bulldozer was for AMD.

Stressing about not buying a computer because a roadmap product that no-one outside Intel has seen better *might* be launched up at minimum 9 months in the future is just silly.

As I'm sure someone will have posted above - if you need one now, then buy now. Well after WWDC in this case...

23. Camwin macrumors member

listen up. and listen well, but whatever comes out monday if its a good upgrade that you'd like to get. When Haswell comes out just sell yours off for 75-80% and spend the extra few hundred upgrading.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

"Is it worth it?" is very subjective.

How much money do you have is a better one. At least you can quantify it.

I can buy every upgrade to Haswell (keeping every machine) and probably afterwards, so it's not worth waiting for me.

Maybe another person may not be able afford upgrades like this, they don't need to upgrade since their current machine is fast enough, so it would worth waiting.

25. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Ding Ding Ding!!

Of course this is THE Answer.. Always.. Methinks..

** Buy What you NEED ~ WHEN you need it.. **

Upgrades are always 'just that'.. The Latest and Greatest will always be 'The Next Thing'.. Consumerism DEPENDS upon this, and the human nature to desire such things.. :apple:

Need It, Buy It.. Don't, then Wait!!

:D