Worth waiting for Haswell MBP 15"?

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
1,127
78
Part of the old MR guard.
If this is the case:


Is it worth waiting for Haswell? I've heard (Haven't done much research into this, apologies for my ignorance) that Haswell will bring massive performance and battery-life saving gains, and according to the image, which may be true (Consolidation of line may mirror the MacBook Aluminium --> MacBook Pro 13" a few years back).

I'm in a strange situation right now. I damaged my MacBook Pro 15" (First unibody MBP from late 2008) irreparably (Screen damage from thermoflask) so I bought a MacBook Air 11" this April, a few months before the expected refresh of the MacBook lines.

I'd really like to swap back to a MacBook Pro 15" (power gains, and if the news of the redesign is true, thinner and lighter, which is what I like most about the MacBook Air).

However, I do not necessarily have to swap now because 1) I have a MacBook Air 11" now 2) Haswell may bring big performance gains.

Opinions on this? Is Haswell worth waiting for? I'm not in an immediate need for a new MBP but would like to know more.

Thanks in advance.
 

JalenMc

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
19
0
If I wasn't going to college nor needed a laptop, then I would wait for Haswell. Just saying.
 

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
2,985
3
Maybe I'm just old school but isn't hanging on to your money as long as you realistically can always a good thing?
 

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
240
0
Colorado
I think what the OP is really trying to understand is what potential benefits will Haswell brings compared to Ivy Bridge so he can make a decision to buy the nw models coming out or wait for next year.

I'm interested in this too but I think the best is to read up on Haswell.

*runs off to google Haswell*
 

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
1,688
197
No, no, no... wait for Broadwell!

Wait, no... hold out for Skylake!

Scratch that... just save up for Skymont!!11

:rolleyes:

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, then don't buy it. :)
 

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
1,387
13
Spaceball One
No, no, no... wait for Broadwell!

Wait, no... hold out for Skylake!

Scratch that... just save up for Skymont!!11

:rolleyes:

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, then don't buy it. :)
What if you want it? Really badly? WHAT THEN? THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!!! IT IS 2012... RUN PEOPLE!!! DO PANIC!!!
 

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
209
2
No, no, no... wait for Broadwell!

Wait, no... hold out for Skylake!

Scratch that... just save up for Skymont!!11

:rolleyes:

If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, then don't buy it. :)
I get that its annoying that people pose the "Should I wait?" question a lot ... but the same canned response that you provided is equally annoying.

To the OP, you admitted that you're not in an immediate need for a new MBP, so I suggest that you wait. You already have an 11" Macbook Air that is perfectly capable. Whether or not you get gadget lust once you see the new MBP ... is another question.
 

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
6,734
1,894
If you wish to upgrade at haswell too you could always look for a good deal on the base 15" or a refurb, then sell it next year. The lower end versions in a given size aren't likely to depreciate as much given that changes between cpu architecture and graphics card generations can outpace the differentiation between different models today.
 

cmChimera

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2010
3,930
2,764
Buy one on Monday, if you like Haswell models then sell it and buy a Haswell model. Waiting a year for Haswell is a bit silly at this point unless you really don't need a laptop.
 

XX55XX

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
147
0
Apparently, Haswell is going to feature some beastly integrated graphics, so it might be worth waiting...
 

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
3,030
638
St. Paul, Minnesota
If you need a MacBook Pro now, buy it when the new ones come out next week.

If you can wait a year, wait a year. Haswell will be a bigger jump from Ivy Bridge than Ivy Bridge was from Sandy Bridge.
 

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
240
0
Colorado
Apparently, Haswell is going to feature some beastly integrated graphics, so it might be worth waiting...
If you need a MacBook Pro now, buy it when the new ones come out next week.

If you can wait a year, wait a year. Haswell will be a bigger jump from Ivy Bridge than Ivy Bridge was from Sandy Bridge.
After some googling, this seems to be right on. Personally, I'm not in a position to wait because I am laptopless right now, but I may just get a refurb for now. I'll decide after the Monday event.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
65,895
32,232
Boston
The same old advice really fits.

If you can wait and don't need a new computer then wait. If you need one, well then buy one.

There will always be a newer better computer model around the corner. Get one when you need one
 

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
632
1
Best course of action if you have the money to cover the remaining cost:

Buy now > sell > buy as a new model comes > sell > buy as a new model comes...

Rinse and repeat.

If you're struggling with the economy, stay away from sites that talk about "newer and better" and just love your current machine.
 

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
229
1
Intel updates on a tick-tock cycle, with the tick being a major upgrade and the tock being a less significant one essentially. Ivy bridge is a tock, so yes Haswell will be a pretty good improvement. However I don't recall it as ever being announced yet...and seeing as IB just came out, it will probably take awhile for Haswell to be launched. Do what you want honestly, the facts are there, but you can;t always be waiting for the next biggest and greatest thing as that is a huge money sink, and judging by the way technology is moving today, not necessary.
 

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
3,881
898
Manchester, UK
Exactly. The next "Tick" is being worked on in a development lab right now. It's not even completed let alone a product anyone can contemplate evaluating or buying yet. It might be a stinker like Bulldozer was for AMD.

Stressing about not buying a computer because a roadmap product that no-one outside Intel has seen better *might* be launched up at minimum 9 months in the future is just silly.

As I'm sure someone will have posted above - if you need one now, then buy now. Well after WWDC in this case...
 

Camwin

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
81
0
listen up. and listen well, but whatever comes out monday if its a good upgrade that you'd like to get. When Haswell comes out just sell yours off for 75-80% and spend the extra few hundred upgrading.
 

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
22,167
1,212
NYC
"Is it worth it?" is very subjective.

How much money do you have is a better one. At least you can quantify it.

I can buy every upgrade to Haswell (keeping every machine) and probably afterwards, so it's not worth waiting for me.

Maybe another person may not be able afford upgrades like this, they don't need to upgrade since their current machine is fast enough, so it would worth waiting.
 

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
680
5
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Ding Ding Ding!!

technically wouldn't every next generation be worth waiting for?
Of course this is THE Answer.. Always.. Methinks..

** Buy What you NEED ~ WHEN you need it.. **

Upgrades are always 'just that'.. The Latest and Greatest will always be 'The Next Thing'.. Consumerism DEPENDS upon this, and the human nature to desire such things.. :apple:

Need It, Buy It.. Don't, then Wait!!

:D
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.