Worth waiting for iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Prohybe, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

Hey guys i was going to buy the iphone 4S 16GB yesterday but than i wanted to be sure of something: is it worth waiting for the iphone 5 or can i buy the 4s? what are the main diferences?

2. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

FAIL.

How in the world would someone know the difference between an existing product and something that doesn't even exist? :rolleyes:

3. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

The iPhone 5 will be released in June 2012, minimum. Just get a 4S and by the time the iPhone 5 actually comes out you would only have to wait a year, and can wait that year with a good phone.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Differences:
    1. iphone 4s has dual core processor; iphone 5 has quadcore
    2. iphone 4s has 3.5" screen; iphone 5 has 4"
    3. iphone 4s is a bit thicker and iphone 5 is thinner.
    4. Iphone 4s has round home button; iphone 5 has oblong.
    5. Iphone 4s has "find my iPhone"; iphone 5 has "locate my unicorn"
    6. Iphone 4s has siri; iphone 5 has Charlie (siri's alcholic cousin).
    7. iphone 4s will NOT allow you to shoot glitter out of your butt; Iphone 5 has it built in.
    8. iphone 4s will not babysit your children; iphone 5 knows infant CPR.
    9. iphone 4s is not waterproof; iphone 5 has a scuba diving app.
    10. iphone 4s is out now; iphone 5 TBA.

I'd say wait for the 5 though. I mean c'mon... glitter out of your butt.

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Unless the 4S is just an iPhone 4, with the S standing for Siri, the iPhone 5th generation already came out.

6. kicko macrumors 65816

7. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I agree - wait if you can. However, this time last year, everyone was waiting for the iPhone5 to be released in June. Didn't happen. Then rampant speculation on what the next phone would be. Turned out to be a 4S - a slightly jazzed up version of the 4. Very disappointing to those of us waiting for the iPhone5.

So -- it really depends on how much you want the iPhone experience. I have the iPhone4 on iOS5 (the latest operating system) and it is GREAT! I'm an android convert and not going back. :D

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

in all seriousness... we are pretty confident that the next iteration of the iPhone won't be another minor upgrade (as was the 4S from the 4)... so if you can wait it out, wait it out. For what it's worth, the first few items on my LOLlist above are what I've read/seen as speculation so if those things matter to you and you're willing to believe the speculation, then wait it out. If you don't care to possibly get a bigger screen, 4g, quad-core processor, etc. then have at the 4S

9. MsBeauty macrumors member

Get the 4S and use it until iphone 5 comes out... then sell the iPhone 4S... cost you only about $100-$150... the most:D

why wait

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Just one word comes to mind...

Patience.

It's a sign of maturity, self control, and inner peace. Why allow the impulse for instant gratification take over?

There's no way to make a decision between one phone that exists, and one that's an unknown at this point. They don't call this forum MacRumors for nothing :)

11. 911turbo macrumors newbie

there is always something new coming out... if you are comfortable with the 4S features.. get it now!!

12. Keifer411 macrumors newbie

Omg I absolutely loved this post. You totally had me up to unicorn.

13. RoyWill macrumors member

5 years later.. the iphone will be built-in into your brain... you want to wait?

Get the best available right now and enjoy!!

14. Fredericks macrumors member

I count the iPhone 4S as the fifth gen iPhone since apple counted iPhone 3GS as a generation. It really depends on what phone you have now. If you have an iPhone 4 right now. Then you should wait. If you don't even have a smart phone or really crappy smart phone. You could go for the 4S if you don't wanna wait. I think you should really wait because the 4S is too much like the 4. It makes me feel the 4S is old already.

15. hajime macrumors 68030

What the quadcore for?

Hello, I have the iPodTouch 4G. Seems to be fast enough for anything. What could a quadcore processor be used for? Will there be any improvement on the camera/video?

16. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Enjoy your iPhone right now!

You could talk about the next iPhone, but nobody truly knows when or if it's coming out or what it will have. That's the beauty of it.

We don't even know if there will be an iPad 3. As we know from last year's iPhone 5 fiasco, and comments above, people have no problem making things up.

However, there is not a strong incentive to buy an iPhone 4S over an iPhone 4. It's an option much like choosing a black or white iPhone. The 4S has a few special features, but most people cannot tell the difference between the speed, photos, and Siri is just a beta product.

If someone were to hand you the two iPhones turned off, you could not tell. Even if they were turned on, without going into the settings, you could not tell. So why pay the premium?

It's an excellent time to have an iPhone 4.

17. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

doesn't exist? I wouldn't say that..i'm sure that right now 7th/8th gen iPhones have already taken birth @ Apple Labs..just can't prove it!! so you are partially right too:rolleyes:

18. waltervt macrumors member

Oh boy, this cracked me up. Thanks for the laughter!

19. asgr8 macrumors member

If you have an iPhone 4, then wait for iPhone 5 or whatever the name will be. If you have any other phone like 3GS or iPhone 3G then just buy 4s and enjoy it.