Worth waiting for retina 15" 2013?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carl-philip, Nov 1, 2012.

1. carl-philip macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a new MBP and sell my current 2009 MBP 13". I waited for the retina 13" but I want discrete graphics so that was a bit of a disappointment. Now I've decided on the 15" retina lowest spec except 16 GB ram. I want that so that I can keep the MBP for at least three years. 16 GB should make sure I dont run into shortage of ram in that time?

Now when I've decided to buy a new MBP of course I get nervous that Apple will release a new Retina with much better specs. What do you think, is it worth waiting for Haswell which presumably will make an appearance in the 2013 retina?

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

If your current machine does what you need it to then hold out till 2013 or even 2014. Haswell is 'said' to be a noticeable improvement mainly with integrated graphics. We still need to see real world benchmarks though from Haswell to make an actual judgement. However wether you get one now or later there will always be something better down the road.

3. ruku macrumors member

Also the next model will have 802.11ac speed wifi. That could make a big difference if you like to move video files around over the home network.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

yeah as mentioned the next one will likely have the Haswell architecture which will be the 'tock' of the intel development cycle meaning a considerable performance improvement (think about the introduction of Sandy Bridge)...

5. carl-philip thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's not the answer I was looking for.... Want to upgrade right now but maybe I should wait.

6. geta macrumors 6502a

If you need one now, just get whatever float your boat from the correct line, there is not point to wait for the next one coz always will come better\newer one in the future...

but if you can wait, i've heard that in 2015 Apple will cut the prices in half and the new intel cpu they gonna use, will run circles around Haswell :D