Worth waiting for the new OS?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iLikeMac, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. iLikeMac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #1
    Any thoughts?

    I'm pretty much decided on the top of the line iMac rather than the MacPro now but I'm wondering if I should wait for the release of the new OS or if I can just upgrade when it's released.
     
  2. redraidermacman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #2
    well, there is still no release date on leopard, but it shouldnt be too too expensive to upgrade about $130 which isnt bad considering its fully featured and not bare bones like vista basic which is around the same price.....so, its up to you....but you may be waiting awhile considering apple is very good at making machines but is very bad about letting people know whats going on....
     
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #3
    it really depends on what bothers you more: paying $129 to upgrade the OS later or waiting at least another month or so for your computer.
     
  4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

    ivi7

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #4
    if you can wait you should because there Is no point paying to upgrade to it but if your in a hurry then you have to buy it now
     
  5. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #5
    My current system is near death so I think I'll just have to upgrade. Thanks for the input.
     
  6. redraidermacman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #6
    its worth it, tiger is already better than vista plus the fact that you can still run vista or xp, just makes it a really good deal
     
  7. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #7
    Yeah, no need to wait. The iMacs were just updated and are fantastic -- you're wasting time by NOT having one. You can let others test out 10.5 and then by 10.5.2 if you want -- upgrade then.
     
  8. jczubach macrumors 6502

    jczubach

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Location:
    northwest
    #8
    Tiger ain't doing me wrong?!?!@!?!!???:eek: The desire to chance 'the new' is somewhat astounding and also disturbing, why did apple work so well yesterday? and now is so annoyingly insufficient? I have oodles of testimony that testify to this nuttyness.:)
     
  9. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #9
    Hehe this is good to hear. Can't wait.
     
  10. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
  11. redraidermacman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #11
    the imac has a mic built in
     
  12. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #12
    As one poster mentioned there is no said release date so far. What most likely will happen is anyone buying a Mac in October will be eligible for the free upgrade to Leopard.
     
  13. jonswan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    #13
    I went ahead and bought the 20inch Alu iMac as I knew I'd be getting the Leopard family pack, which will probably be here end of October. Also, if you buy with Tiger, you can always go back to it if Leopard 10.5.0 is a mess....
     
  14. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #14
    At this point I'd wait if you have no other Macs.

    Because I have several macs now, if I were to get an additional one I'd buy now because I'll need to buy the leopard family pack anyway.
     
  15. AlexisV macrumors 68000

    AlexisV

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #15
    I'd wait.

    It would have been silly to buy a white iMac in July and it would have been silly to buy an iPod in August.

    It's now silly to buy any Mac between now and the end of October :D

    LOL. Tiger isn't insufficient, but Leopard will be better.

    'nuff said.
     
  16. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #16
    Also, and this is my last question hopefully, what kind of difference in performance would I notice going with 4g of RAM rather than 2? Is it worth it?
     
  17. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #17
    If you have to ask then max out to 4GB because no matter what anyone here says about how well 2GB will suffice you know that you will always wonder how much better 4GB will perform. There's no such thing as too much ram.
     
  18. vansouza macrumors 68000

    vansouza

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    West Plains, MO USA Earth
    #18
    Should be free

    My new iMac should be, God willing, delivered Tuesday of this week. I expect a free upgrade to the new OS if it is released by the end of the year. If not I will use my iPhone rebate to get it. I was waiting but just could not wait any longer... I will just update or reinstall we it comes out...

    So if you are a good waiter... wait... if not go for it... :apple:
     
  19. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #19
    Reason not to wait: Tiger is stable NOW. The bugs have mostly been worked out (there's another Tiger point release coming very soon). Why not get the stable Tiger? You have no idea if Leopard might be a big disaster. Personally, I'm waiting until about 10.5.3 before I'd even think about upgrading.

    Memory: yes, absolutely max it out. However, don't buy from Apple - you can get it way cheaper, and it's very easy to intall it yourself.
     
  20. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #20
    This has probably been asked before, but where would I go to buy the extra RAM?
     
  21. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #21
    Agreed, best answer on this thread. Tiger is fully mature so you are not taking a loss. The best part of getting your new computer now and buying Leopard later is you will have both OS's in case for some reason (although not expected) Leopard is having issues you can go back to Tiger especially since Tiger for Intel is not available to buy.
     
  22. davekarn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2007
    #22
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

    This is where I got my 4GB from. Decent price from what I can tell in comparison (and definitely compared to Apple's prices!) My new iMac should be getting here this week at which point I will actually be able to use it, instead of having RAM Wars and having them fight eachother with their protective plastic armor...RAM WARS!!

    I'm tired...
     
  23. davekarn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2007
    #23
    That's why I bought now as opposed to waiting (plus the fact that I couldn't bring myself to another month of waiting after FINALLY deciding to "switch" this past June and waiting for the new iMac to come out). I figure Tiger does in fact have all its bugs worked out and I can always get Leopard through my school for $80 anyhow when I make the leap to that.
     
  24. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #24
    So then, I would buy a 24'' iMac with the same processor and HD and only 1gig of RAM, then buy the 4gigs of RAM elsewhere, take out the 1gig and install the 4gigs myself, and it would be the same machine?
     
  25. iLikeMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #25
    Ok, I want to be 100% sure I'm doing the right thing before I order.

    This is the system I want:

    # 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
    # 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # Apple Mighty Mouse
    # Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    # iWork '08 preinstalled
    # Accessory kit
    # ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    # 24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
    # AirPort Extreme
    # Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

    This is what I'm ordering from Apple:

    # 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
    # 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # Apple Mighty Mouse
    # Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    # iWork '08 preinstalled
    # Accessory kit
    # ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    # 24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
    # AirPort Extreme
    # Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

    --exact same but only 1GB of RAM.

    So, then I will order the 4GB from http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/
    , take out the 1GB stick the machine comes with, install the 4GB I get myself, and I will have an equivalent system?

    Thanks again, sorry for the hardware insecurity issues I have.
     

Share This Page