Worth waiting for the next refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zViiPeR, Jun 8, 2014.

  1. zViiPeR macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    #1
    Hi,

    In the next couple of months I'm going to buy a top of the line 15" rMBP, I was just wondering if it's worth waiting for the next refresh, even if it is just a minor processor bump. It's going to cost about £2700 (w/ student discount) so I don't want to buy one today and find out there's a new one in a couple of weeks time... I need to buy it before October so I have a bit of time but the sooner the better really.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks :)
     
  2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

    iMacBooked

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2013
    Location:
    4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈ Country: Belgium
    #2
    If you can't wait till October, I'd really just buy it.
     
  3. TechGod macrumors 68040

    TechGod

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #3
    If you need it now, buy it now. Same thing happened to me and I sprung for the 13" rMBP:)
     
  4. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
    October is most likely when they'll be updated - if you were looking at a 13" one, I would've maybe said hold off as I think Broadwell has big improvements to the integrated GPU. That being said, there's no guarantee Broadwell will make it into the Macs by October.

    However, it's going to be around 5 months until the new ones come out and that's quite a while. Plus the 15" is powerful enough already - maybe it'll get a battery life boost, but not much more apart from maybe processors with a few hundred more MHz, and maybe a slight price decrease.

    Overall, I'd say buy now. You say you need it by October, and updates are probably going to come later in October, so it's probably cutting it quite fine if you decide to wait. Buy it now, install a few apps and have fun with it! There's always going to be something newer around the corner and life's too short in all honesty to wait almost half a year for a minor spec bump.
     
  5. Sparta1978 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2014
    #5
    If you can wait, wait. I don't think its an even tossup. Being a knowledgeable creature it may be difficult for you buying a Haswell chip now, and finding out something newer is out there that you could of gotten, at same price point.

    How long do you own a laptop? If you are like most people I know, its years and years and years. If you are a select few that updates their computer every year/2years then my advice would change to buy now.

    Goodluck.
    David
     
  6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    #6
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22111/intel-broadwell-release-date-specs

    Just get it because broadwell won't be out for awhile. Unless you don't need it at all then just use what you're using. The macbook pro will not be refreshed this year. It'll get a speed bump but that's about it.

     

Share This Page