worth waiting till next year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazawaza, Sep 1, 2012.

  1. hazawaza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #1
    I have a sony vaio laptop atm but I have to sometimes share with my little sister which is pretty annoying. The vaio could last a year longer. I could buy a 13" macbook pro this year or should I wait until next year when the haswell processors are released. Will the cMBP still have that wow factor a year later when they will be discontinued? The retina and non retina do look fairly similar. I mainly use my laptop for general use and the odd game of minecraft. should I wait or buy a Macbook Pro now?
     
  2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    This is one of those decisions that is up to you. Yes, Haswell will be faster but it wont make today's macbook pro lose their "wow" factor. SSD and ram can always be added to make it faster. Only question is whether Apple will discontinue the cMBP line and have only retina. If you're looking to buy now, wait a couple months and get the 13" retina, it's expected sometime in Sep-Oct.
     
  3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #3
    If you can wait, you probably should to avoid possible regret. In other words, if it's not a necessity at the moment then you don't need to put yourself through that.
     
  4. hazawaza thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #4
    If I get the one next year and the cMBP is discontinued I won't be able to buy the retina anyways. The only one I can buy next year would be the macbook air becuase my budget will be £1000. The main reason I would want to wait a year is becuase I dont want the 13" cMBP to loose their wow factor.
     
  5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    I don't think you'll regret it much. Fact is, this question is asked every time a new processor ready to hit the market, and though they're new, they are not exponentially faster. Haswell obviously will be faster and speculated to have much better battery life. Also, you could always purchase one now and sell it in a year and maybe lose out $200-300 and then just upgrade. Questions is whether you think that cost is worth not having to share a laptop with your sister.

    ----------

    As I stated above, if you need/want one now you can always resell and purchase the upgraded model in 1-2 years down the road. These notebooks hold their value very well.
     
  6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #6
    Oh, I understand - I was simply saying that if it's 100% avoidable then why not just avoid it? In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to have the option to purchase a computer now or a possible newer model in the future and choose to purchase it now even though you do not need it knowing that you may regret not just waiting for the newer model when you could have done so all along.

    That was a bit of a run-on, I did my best to convey my point hopefully it makes sense. Just my opinion. :)
     
  7. hazawaza thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #7
    thanks for the reply. I think i'm just trying to have the latest tech and not think whether I need it or not. I think the cMBP 13" baseline could serve me well for the next 4 years (with ram upgrades and ssd upgrades later on ) is that about right for the time macs last ?
     
  8. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2011
    Location:
    Essex, england
  9. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #9
    I'd suggest you wait. The reward will be very well worth it. Besides the inevitable processor upgrade, their will be lots of little things all of which add up to an excellent laptop that one can keep & use for quite some time.

    There's a lot to be said by being payient & waiting, being smart & choosing when to buy. Next year will be that time. Especially for those thinking about the rMBP, a year makes a big difference. Next years will have all the bugs worked out of the current first yr model.
     
  10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

    mohsy90

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #10
    Yes, it should last you 3-4 years down the road with ram and SSD upgrades. As far as latest tech.....we're at a fine line in regards to that. No ones really knows what new tech will be down the road. If Apple ends its cMBP line and continues with retina and eventually drops the price down to the current 13" MBP price by next year or 2, then you might regret a purchase now. It's a longshot, but fact is, no one really knows.

    It's all depends on how badly you need/want it. If you can wait, then wait, if you can't and are willing to lose out on a possible resale and upgrade down the road, then pull the trigger.
     

Share This Page