Worth waiting until after Sep 30 to buy iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Random Gecko, Sep 6, 2010.

  1. Random Gecko macrumors member

    Sep 15, 2008
    London, England
    I keep reading rumours of an updated model, so would it be worth waiting until after this date before buying one or should I just jump right in?
  2. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
  3. MacJones macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2010
    At this point you have nothing to lose. If you buy now you'll get the free case and IF they do anything (which I doubt they will) you can return the phone within 30 days and get the new one.
  4. bender o macrumors 6502

    bender o

    Mar 14, 2009
    buy it, there's no real reason for waiting and a ton for having it right now :D
  5. Krayd2k macrumors member

    Jun 9, 2010
    No update model coming this year maybe e next June/july
  6. aldo818 macrumors regular

    Nov 18, 2009
    South of France
    Just got mine Yesterday! I asked myself the same thing as you should i wait or not.

    After having used it for 1 day now i must say i haven't had any antenna problem nor proximity sensor prob.

    I m pretty sure there won t be an update as for most ppl the phone works perfectly fine! I m not using a bumper as i don t wanna ruin the nice design of the phone!
  7. cl601amt macrumors member

    Aug 4, 2010
    That is what I am doing, bought mine on Saturday. I don't expect any changes, but if there are I can take advantage of it.
  8. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

    Tito Georgie

    Jul 17, 2010
    New York
    This type of threads are getting annoying. -_-
  9. shandyman Suspended

    Apr 24, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    where are people getting this 'new model' coming in october rubbish from? madness. no new iPhone model til next june when we get the iPhone 5. simple as.
  10. CrAkD macrumors 68040


    Feb 15, 2010
    Boston, MA
    if you wanna wait go for it but I dont believe the new model bs for a second and my iphone 4 works great the way it is.
  11. Encanto macrumors regular

    Nov 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I would just get it now. I'm just waiting for the white iPhone 4. Hopefully is release soon.:)
  12. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2010
    get one now.

    Every time I go to the local apple store, there is a small line outside of people waiting to get their iphones still
  13. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    The rumor is based on the current free bumper/case program ending on September 30, and Steve Jobs saying at the iPhone 4 press conference something along the lines of "we'll see at that point if we'll continue this, or maybe we'll have a better idea."

    Naturally, the obsession some people have with picking apart every sentence he utters, they misinterpreted "...better idea" to mean "new, redesigned iPhone to be released on September 30!!!!"

    But no one with common sense would jump to that conclusion.

    If you really delve into it, September 30 is the end of the current quarter for Apple. To keep the books tidy, they need to see if they can end the free bumper program, or figure out if they need to spend more money to extend it. If the hype's died down, then they'll end the program. it's usually not good form to make speculations about what will happen beyond the current quarter unless you know for sure, and since Apple probably wants to step giving away cases ASAP, September 30 was a good end to pick so that their expenses on this don't spill into future quarters.

    But either way there is no new iPhone being released on September 30. If you are on the fence about getting one and have decided to wait until that date, you may actually be at a disadvantage because the free case program may be over. That is, assuming you care about getting a free bumper or case.
  14. aohus macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2010
    No, everyone in here has it wrong thus far. There was a rumor about a month back stating that an updated iP4 would be coming to Verizon in January/February.

    Reasons as to why people are stating this is true

    -Verizon CEO to give headline speech at CES 2011

    -CDMA chips are in order for some kind of iPhone. (this is hinting for Verizon launch, but thats not for certain, as there are other CDMA carriers out there globally)

    -Apple/AT&T exclusivity agreement ends in 2011.

    Personally, I would wait it out to see if any news comes out in the next couple months as to what will happen this holiday season. This is the time when many carriers/handset makers are advertising like crazy. Remember the Verizon/AT&T ads? If you waited this long, might as well wait it out until the end of this year.
  15. shandyman Suspended

    Apr 24, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    not relevant as the verizon one would be specially for them. the discussion is about a new iPhone 4 replacing the current one, the verizon one would be in addition, plus still a rumour.
  16. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    This has nothing to do with September 30, and the Verizon rumor is most likely wrong anyway.
  17. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a


    Jul 25, 2009
  18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    May 27, 2009
    Not only is it the end of the quarter for Apple it is the end of their fiscal year.

    The September 30th date is all about $$$$ and not that an updated device is coming out. I would suspect that apple may announce they will continue the program for probably another quarter or they will announce nothing and the program will die at the end of the month.
  19. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Apple's next quarter ends on December 31st, so can you image if Apple announces one more quarter of free cases, the speculation that Apple will definitely announce a new iPhone in January for both AT&T and Verizon will reach its all time high and these forums will be flooded with more people asking "Should I wait?"

    Financial Quarters:
    1st Quarter: October 1, 2009 - December 31, 2009
    2nd Quarter: January 1, 2010 - March 31, 2010
    3rd Quarter: April 1, 2010 - June 30, 2010
    4th Quarter: July 1, 2010 - September 30, 2010
  20. King Luis macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2008
    if you were in canada, you'd probably have no choice as they are still sold out over a month since they have been released.

    as someone else said on the forums, for a new iphone to be released (or an updated one) they would need to get an FCC approval for it which would of been seen already and made public.

    since you can get one, i say get one.

    regarding the cdma thing, there aren't too many carriers that are still doing cdma in the world compared to gsm. and it's obvious with everyone switching to gsm, cdma is a dying tech. in canada, the companies that provide cdma also provide gsm.
  21. Block macrumors 6502a


    Jun 28, 2007
    If you want a White iPhone that'll probably be when it's released, to boost holiday sales.

Share This Page