Worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. iFusionApple macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    #1
    Is it worth waiting for a nee rMBP 15"?

    I would love the 13", but i think soon it will be outdated, so i rather wait. On the other hand, i would like to get something NOW. I mean the 15" model is fine and probably will be for a few years. The graphics card is pretty good for usual stuff and games.

    So 15" model now or soon, or 13" model soon? That's my question... I like bigger displays for games, films, etc but 13" is nice and portable.

    When do you think the new rMBP's will come out? Will the price be a lot higher than they are now at apple? And what sorts of updates will there be (except the HD5000, more battery life, Wi-Fi connection)? Any new graphics card in the 15" model that would easily outdate the GT650M?

    Thanks all!

    ----------

    My main concern is the HD4000 in the 13" model now. The new Haswell will be much better I believe, but I'm also wondering if I should buy the new 13" MBA.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    How will you be using the laptop, without knowing the requirements, its difficult to discern whether waiting is a good idea or not.
     
  3. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    #3
    I would use it for:

    - watching films
    - light photo-editing
    - bit of gaming (thats why the 15" rmbp comes
    into question)
    - documents and everday usage

    I will probably need a laptop beginning of August, maybe i could also wait a month and a half or so.
     
  4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #5
    hmmm, from other perspective :
    1. u need to compare a price of 15 rMBP and 15 MBP (non-retina)
    2. compare the hardware/techno component
    3. and then, see your activity when using this macbook

    if you see a "big" different things, u need to wait a new rMBP....
     
  5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

    GroundLoop

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2003
    #6
    WAIT....

    There are three main reasons that you should wait for the updated rMBP:
    1. better battery life
    2. PCIe SSD
    3. 802.11ac

    All three of those will affect your day to day usage (assuming that 802.11ac is available where you will be over the next 3 years). Given that the MBA got all of these and was still less expensive than the previous model, it would make the most sense, IMO, to wait for the Haswell update.

    GL
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    Waiting gives you the latest technology as others stated but you're not really pushing the capabilities of the machine all that much and so getting one now wouldn't be a horrendous decision either. Haswell as mentioned will provide better battery management that in of itself may be worth the wait.

    If you can hold off then you may avoid buyer's remorse when the Haswell machines do hit the streets.
     
  7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    Lincoln, UK
    #8
    The 13" rMBP should see a good improvement due to the improved integrated graphics, so definitely wait for that model.

    The 15" probably won't see such a big jump, but still there is good potential for speed improvements with PCIe SSD storage and 802.11ac WiFi.
     
  8. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    #9
    Thanks guys! I would be happy to not spend to much on a new MacBook, highest 1800. And I don't really like to wait, but when about do you think will the new 13" rMBP come out? I could wait another 1-2 months, but not longer.

    And how much better are the new SSD's than the old ones?
     

Share This Page