Worthless piece of *****

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mobius 1, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Okay, so I have this old MacBook. And it's REALLY SLOW.

I have finder open, FireFox, my wireless modem app, terminal, and activity monitor.

Whenever I open MINECRAFT I can't type at all. It's like the whole processor is overloaded or something?

This happens with MC Domination as well

My RAM is already 8GB. From Corsair.

The INACTIVE (BLUE) part of the memory pie chart is almost 2GB. Even with iFreeMem which is supposed to free inactive, the inactive won't decrease, sometimes increasing.

EVERY GAME I LAG, the 9400M is horrible, compared to when new. Playing COD4 is hell, black ops won't launch AT ALL.

Even Modern Combat Domination I LAG

With FINDER, FIREFOX, Internet app, ACTIVITY MONITOR, AND TERMINAL the processor load is 70-80% according to Activity Monitor's graph

I've cleaned all caches, deleted unnecessary files, freed up 40GB of my HDD, reformatted, defrag the HDD

And it's still REALLY SLOW.

iMovie 11' can't delete a Movie file if not crashing for 2 minutes.

Fans are stupid and they won't rev up from 1800 to 3000 when the temp reaches 70C. I have a cooling pad with 3 fans and It didn't help.

The trackpad is still horrible, even after i bought one entire set of screwdrivers just to get the tri-wing screw. It didn't drag, or click.

The battery is HORRIBLE.

The default charge is 4500 MAh compared to the original "white" macbook which holds 5000 MAh

And it's now just over 1200MAh.

Battery readings ain't accurate, it shut itself down at 15% even with 2 calibrations.

Anybody got a solution for this?

Btw: Specs

MacBook 5.1 (unibody)
    2GHz Penryn
    8GB 1067MHz
    160GB 5400RPM
    From 2008
    Mac OS 10.6.7

2. KJmoon117, Jun 6, 2011

KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I didn't not know that minecraft was that intensive lol. Well then again I don't even know what the point of the game is. But anyways,

1) This belongs in the MacBook forums.
    2) I dont think the 08 MacBooks could handle more than 3Gb of ram... Anymore and things get a little weird as the system tries to access it.

I could be wrong though.

Sorry I'm on my phone typing this and pressed the enter button by accident so suggestions:

-Buy a new battery
    -limit the ram, maybe you are getting kernel panics for putting more ram than your system can access
    -buy a new computer lol

3. Mobius 1, Jun 6, 2011

Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

but apple says that this can take 4GB RAM, but i installed 8 and i have no kernel panic

-okay
    -well the OWC website says this takes up to 8GB if you're snow leopard etc2x
    -I HAZ NO MONIES D:

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Trying to play modern games on a 9400m is never going to go well.

I had a macbook with the 9400m in it and it played steam games like left4dead on medium settings fine and MMOs worked OK but anything more intensive was a no go.

8GB of ram is overkill though, 4GB should be more than enough.

I assume you are using windows since you are playing black ops? What version of windows? Do you have all the latest drivers installed?

Also what macbook is this? white? if so the trackpad is generally nowhere near as good as the newer multitouch ones.

5. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

no it's unibody ones

yes, seven ultimate 64 bit

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

LOL, the whole point of your thread is that you are having problems :D.
    It's most probably the 8G upgrade that causes them.

7. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i mean the RAM have no kernel panic stuffs etc

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sheesh....tell us how you really feel.

Stop doing unnecessary upgrades and trying to game on a machine that isn't even remotely meant for gaming. I mean the 9400m is weaker than the 320m Its like trying to drive a non-4x4 off-road. Also you might just have a bunk machine.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you hadn't started doing all that needless upgrading and cache cleaning and whatnot and not tried to game on a machine which clearly isn't meant to do so, maybe those problems wouldn't be there. How about you just do a fresh install of everything, and see how it goes?

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Even so, the RAM could be causing issues.

If Apple says it can take 4 Gig, why put in 8 Gig?

I'd back it down to 4 Gig, and see what happens.

11. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i feel horrible, i can't do anything without this lagging, crash or beachballs

i already did :(

i did take it back down for 1 week to 4 gig, made no difference

OWC said so lolz, so i put 8GB

12. jupman macrumors newbie

As, KJmoon117 said: "This belongs in the Macbook forums"

The memory could be the issue, it looks like this macbook could run with 8GB if the boot rom is at ... google is your friend. If you macbook is running the "right" boot rom, I would make an appointment with an Apple Genius for a check-up.

Batteries die over time, and it looks like it is time to replace it.

13. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i already updated to that boot rom, and running 10.6.7

i have no apple genius bar, not even ONE store has them

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I agree. Do a clean install of just Snow Leopard with just 4 gigs of ram and use it for a few days without installing anything. See if it performs.

You might also try to swap out that hard drive. It is really slow. A Momentous XT would be a nice upgrade for $100.

15. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Also like you said the 9400M is garbage.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Hardware_performance

It can't play Minecraft at a stable level.

But what's strange is that your processor load is that high when using non-processor intensive apps.

Open your activity monitor and sort by CPU% and tell us what's eating up your cores.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Forget Activity Monitor.

Go to Terminal and type "top" in the command line. Then press Command + c on your keyboard when you're done. Look at what is using up all the CPU power, and how much time each application is taking up.

17. GGJstudios, Jun 6, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to free the inactive. You need to understand what inactive RAM is:
    Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
    The fans should always be on when your Mac is on. They only spin up when needed to keep temps at a safe level. They won't spin up when you have a spike in temps, but rather when temps are sustained at a high enough level for a period of time. 70C is well within normal operating temps, so there is no need for fans to spin faster at that temp. You really don't need to keep a close eye on fans or temps unless you're having frequent shut-downs due to overheating, which will only happen around 100-105C.
    Make sure you've calibrated properly (many don't understand the correct procedure, which is listed in the link below.) If you have, then try resetting the SMC. Also, your battery life is dependent on many factors, as discussed in the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

18. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

java seems to be taking 40%

well i have 8GB instead of 2GB

and i have MineCraft Beta 1.6.5

with some plugins, zombe's modpack, and SPC

Texture pack: default
    Graphics: fancy
    Render distance: normal

dude, i already tried that.

i also scanned for bad sector in my HDD, reformat it using windows, and clean install OS X with 4GB RAM i borrowed from friend MBP (he have 4GB so i swapped my 8GB for 4GB for 3 days)

no difference

I resetted the SMC 2 times

PRAM 2 time (i did once to speed up my computer [didn't work], and another one to solve a kernel panic from a faulty RAM)

no worries i already got the RAM replaced long time ago

and i followed every last step of your battery reset guide