Worthless weather alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think (well, know) I've had it with Weather.com's texted weather alerts. I wanted to get something akin to alerts you'd get from a weather radio on my iPhone, and this was the only thing I found that was free. But almost every text comes after it starts raining or I hear lightning, and most just say "significant weather alert." In other words, it's like FEMA developed this. :)

Does anybody have a good place to get decent weather alerts from on the iPhone for free? I have both the weather.com and Weatherbug Web apps, but those don't do what I'm talking about. You'd think something like this would be so darn simple! :)

2. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

ummm have you ever thought of the weather icon that comes with the phone?

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

You mean that mostly worthless thing that does nothing other than flash a local TV news five-day forecast image on my screen? Yeah. I want something that will tell me if I'm about to be blown to Oz BEFORE it happens. You know, like one of those weather radios does. I saw that Weatherbug does something for $2.99/month, but I'd really like something free and useful (if it exists).

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'd love to have the Weather icon change red or orange when there is a watch / warning in the area.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

The weather icon is only nice for looking at lil pictures of the sun or something. It's RARELY accurate where I live.

6. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Check your local TV stations. Some of them may offer a mobile weather alert service. For example, WCVB in Boston does that. Not sure how good the quality is, but at least it's an alternative.

7. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well I never had a problem with that program it was actually accurate maybe the area you live in the weather is unpredictable?

8. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

The weather app is really limited and wrong way too much. I feel your pain, but I don't know of anything much better. I always liked i.wund.com for weather, but I'm not sure what kind of alerts that they can send. I think they do some kind of email alert.

Have you tried http://www.weatherusa.net/alerts/ ? I haven't tried it, but it showed up in a search. The problem with lots of these alert systems is that they don't let you customize them enough to exclude information that you might not want to receive. I find that with weather radios, also. It sometimes gives information for areas that aren't close enough to raise concern where I am.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It seems to only be accurate for Southern California... sunny and mild 99% of the time. :p

10. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

A tornado ripped a hole in the Georgia Dome before anybody inside knew about it. Yah, I think it can be unpredictable. :)

To the others, I am looking around. I hesitate to do anything with our local TV stations because, well, I hate local TV news. But I might try it. Hopefully someone will address this with an app.

11. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well...... most likely the yahoo weathers widget what we have on the iphone is probably taking the information from your local broadcaster you should check that out one day and see if the 7 day forecast of the high and lows are the same.

12. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

13. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That would be a great idea. I wish it used NOAA and not yahoo...

15. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I think the weather app is great, and is very accurate for me.

Did you know that you can tap the "Y!" in the bottom left corner and it takes you to Yahoo Weather for that town? Maybe useful if you're after a more detailed summary?

16. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

17. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I know where I live we have small electronic weather stations at the various high schools and middle schools. I propose an app that pulls data from the national weather service and also from these local weather stations and gives you an up to date situation on the current weather and weather moving in on your current location based on where you are (via gps). Animated radar and all that would be sweet as well.