Worthwhile MBP - MP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lotsofboxes, Mar 11, 2008.

1. lotsofboxes macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

Im currently running along on a c2d 2.16 macbook pro,(3gb ram) plugged into a dell 20". I'm a graphic / webdesigner and am using the adobe suite alongside itunes, mail etc.

I seem to be struggling along and not sure if its the computers fault or if its just the way it is? When applications are fully open and running Im not too bad, but opening applications is a DRAG and seems to be taking minutes! Ive looked at the system monitor and the disk activity graph is MANIC im wondering if my bottle neck is the slow disk?

Im wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrade to a macbook pro, and would I really notice a substantial increase in performance?

Many Thanks

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It sounds like the hard drive might be the bottleneck. You may want to check out some of the 7200 RPM hard drives out there now.

3. Denali9 macrumors member

Lack of Memory

Not that you can change anything but high disk usage is often related to lack of free memory. Since you already are maxed out, there is two possibilities. You may have a bug with an application that is running in the background and using memory and hence the disk is being used more often and is slowing down your computer or your usage is such that a more powerful machine such as a MBP with 4 gig of ram or a MP would be better.

Another option for you would be to replace the HD with a 7200 RPM HD.

Good luck

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Of course an upgrade to a MBP will speed things up, but only marginally compared to the machine you have now. I would replace the hard drive with a bigger size and at 7200 RPM. If you have money to blow then by all means get a new MBP, but in my opinion I would stick with your machine.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ummmm you mean a new macbook pro? or you currently have a macbook? by your title though it looks like you already have a macbook pro and are thinking about going with a macpro desktop? If that's the case you will see a HUGE difference. Desktop power, faster drives, tons more ram possible, 4 cores or 8 cores compared to mobil core 2 duo....

If you are asking macbook to macbook pro though, i think you will see a difference in the 2.16 and the new 2.4 with extra ram and power... not a huge difference but one for sure.

6. rivercottage macrumors member

Thanks guys,

Im looking to shift from my macbook pro upto the tower mac pro, I may wait until the next revision though to save up some pennies, although that may mean I have to wait another year!

I did originally have a powermac g5 and sold it to get the macbook pro, but Im come round to regretting the decision, I miss the robustness that the towers gave