Worthwhile to get old 15" G4 PB screen fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drrich2, Jul 5, 2008.

1. drrich2 macrumors member

Hi:

We've got an old 15" 1.5 GHz G4 aluminum series Power Book. One of our dogs accidentally yanked it off a coffee table. I thought it was broken; the screen stayed dark, although I could hear it come on & boot up. Then I learned if worked driving an external display.

I spoke with someone at MacAuthority, a reseller, in Nashville, TN. I believe they charge nearly $100 to evaluate one for repair, then apply that toward the repair if you go through with it. It's historically been my understanding that notebook LCD displays are really expensive to fix, so I suspected it'd be a very expensive repair.

Considering that I'd planned on getting an Intel MacBook Pro in the next couple of years, blowing several hundred on this seemed idiotic so I let it sit awhile.

Tonight, I noticed the display isn't entirely dead. I could very faintly make out the display, including a box that said the sytem clock was set for a date in the future. So I'm guessing the back light for the LCD is what's broken.

Anybody care to give me a rough guess as to the costs apt to be involved with fixing this thing? If I walk in & have them take a look at it, I'm out $100 for nothing (to me) if I don't follow through, but could be out several hundred to get a several-year-old soon-to-be-replaced-anyway old G4 notebook (that was still a pleasure to have around) fixed & back in service for awhile.

Richard.

2. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Depends on the cost. If you can find a cheap replacement I would say go ahead and fix it. A G4 would still make for a decent web surfing/itunes machine.

3. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

do it yourself and save hundreds

there are loads of compatible screens on ebay

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

The cost for having a new screen in current generation MBPs with 15" LED screens is approximately 600 euro here in Italy.

thistle