Worthwhile upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dazcox5181, Nov 22, 2013.

1. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Hi
    I have a near perfect 2010 2.4Ghz Unibody MacBook that I bought on eBay for £250 (they didn't realise what they were selling and had no OS at the time :) )
    I've since upgraded to 8GB ram, and removed the optical drive replacing it with a 500GB 7200 Momentus XT with a 64GB SSD in the main bay, configured as a DIY fusion drive (and running Mavericks naturally)

My parents have offered to go halves on a new MacBook Air for me (and they're getting one themselves lol) (Xmas & birthday and partial loan... my spare cash goes on the family) and I was wondering if anyone else has gone from similar?

Will I notice a massive change? My main usage is iWork/Office and Creative Suite (Indesign mainly creating materials for work). My music is in iTunes match, and movies are better off on the home computer for the Apple TV.

I do some light gaming (Football manager/xcom) and run VMs for work (XP).

I'm now thinking that maybe my current system (which is quite a beast ) is probably enough, anything I'd gain from the new Air?

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Nice work on the DIY fusion! It sounds like that system is quite a beast and is still valuable. A new MBA will just be nicer, faster SSD, and extra long battery life compared to what you're getting. Lighter of course. Depends if that stuff means anything to you right now.

Just shooting another option out there.. offer to take the money they would give you and put it into a non risk savings bond (or similar) until you need it and ride out your current system if it fits your needs. Then when you need to buy a new one, that money has gained interest and you get the latest tech.