Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Would 6s to XR or 8+ be a worthwhile upgrade?

My 6s works fine with the new battery. I replaced the case with a slim one and it feels great.

I have been thinking about upgrading to an XR or a plus phone. Almost bought a 7+ for $350.

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to XR or a plus model? Thanks!

tim.engen

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017

My 6s works fine with the new battery. I replaced the case with a slim one and it feels great.

I have been thinking about upgrading to an XR or a plus phone. Almost bought a 7+ for $350.

Which carrier are you on?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

Yes, if you want a bigger phone that badly. Love my 6S too much myself.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
maybe I will hold on to the 6s for another year. still meets my needs

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

At this point, obviously you mentioned you’re likely going to keep your 6S for another year in a post at the bottom of the thread, but if you do decide to upgrade, I would take advantage of the XR. It’s highly competitive of what it offers in terms of the XS, and you would have a chance to experience something entirely different with Face ID and a new form factor. I think iPhone 8 still a great phone, but the XR it’s not that much more over the iPhone 8 for what it offers.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
I can get an open box iPhone 8 plus for 300 after rebate. or an XR for 550 after rebate.

Is the XR worth twice more?

On the other hand, I don't update often. With a iPhone 8 plus or iPhone 8, I feel that I will be using the same phone (just a bit faster) for another few years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is the XR worth twice more

I think you need to ask yourself this question. Have you even went ‘hands-on’ with the XR in store? Would you appreciate the new form factor, Face ID, if so, then maybe it’s worth your time for the upgrade. If not, then you already made your decision.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
I think you need to ask yourself this question. Have you even went ‘hands-on’ with the XR in store? Would you appreciate the new form factor, Face ID, if so, then maybe it’s worth your time for the upgrade. If not, then you already made your decision.

I actually bought one for my wife. It's nice, but not mind-blowing.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I actually bought one for my wife. It's nice, but not mind-blowing.
Your posts in this thread show that you don't really need to upgrade right now. And even more so, you seem to be apprehensive about it so much so, you made the thread. That should be enough of a red flag to hold off. Later on, when you have a need, do some hands on testing and research,. You and the Mrs. talk it over and make a decision together.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
You could try Swappa and get a nice deal there on an XR. Then sell your 6s locally. Something to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.