Worthy Trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukoson, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lukoson macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a 2007 SR 2.2 MBP with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD and was wondering if it would be a good/bad idea to make a trade with someone for their brand new MacBook 2.0GHz 2GB RAM with 160GB HD.
    Thanks for the advice.

2. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

do they have the same size screens? either way I'd say they would be getting the better deal

3. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

the MBP is 15" and the MB is 13"

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Nope, it's a bad trade. Unless you want a smaller laptop.

5. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

thanks

it would really be just about getting a new unibody but I do like having the extra screen real estate so I probably won't do it.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

It's a bad trade, period. Unibody doesn't have anything on discrete graphics and a better screen.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does the mpb have applecare still left on it? Your machine should have the nvidia 8600 video card in it, which is widely reported to be problematic. If you still have applecare, game the sh#@ out of it before it expires to see if you can trade for a new one. :D

If not, a trade for a unibody may be a good idea to avoid the problems with your video card.

If you feel exceptionally lucky, you could always put in more ram and a larger faster hd to breathe a little new life into your older machine.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If he has a problem with the video card, Apple provides an extended warranty for that sole problem(if he already has Applecare it's basically the same coverage). And even if it does fail, they're not gonna let him trade it in; they'll just fix it and return it.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's fairly hard to justify this trade. The MacBook Pro is a better computer.