Worx Home - Is my Company Spying On Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushido, Jun 3, 2016.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

Hi

i started a new job and i got a new phone with "Worx Home" installed on it. I can barely find anything about it online but going through the settings of my phone i found some settings that really concern me

Microphone: Audio recording

"Allows the App to use the microphone to record sounds. This allows the App to do audio recordings at anytime without your confirmation or approval"

Does that mean my company can listen in on anything i say 24/7 ???

--

Phone status:

"Allows the app to access the phone function. Access to phone number, Device ID, phone number of connected call"

---

Full Internet Access Protocol

Access to Wifi connections

Full Network Access

List and information of Accounts on the device

Exact Location using GPS and Wifi Hotspots

---

(roughly translated from german)

I feel like turning it off and just keeping it in the desk to be honest

Creepy as ... especially the audio recording part

2. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Highly doubt it. It's from Citrix. Seems like it's just an app to allow you to remotely access work resources and applications.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

What are you doing that you need to worry about it? :D

If you really feel creepy about it do as you say, when you go out leave it at home. One advantage of this would be that you wouldn't have to report it stolen or lost.

4. G.McGilli macrumors regular

I think you just need to test it out. Put on a horror movie with a lady screaming and crying of her life and leave the phone beside it. If the police break your door down then you know they are listening :)

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

This is on the iPhone? Where would that be? Those permissions don't really sound like iOS permissions (more like Android).

6. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Honesty, those particular settings would worry me. I would only have the phone on when I am working and off the remainder of the time.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

8. HEK Suspended

HEK

9. willmtaylor, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

As this is a company phone, it sounds more like a profile or MDM than simply an app. It's not unusual for profiles installed on an iOS device to have such system-wide privileges. The phone belongs to the company, not the user.

Personally, I'd rather pay for my own phone and not have to be concerned with privacy issues.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016 ---
    I also found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Citrix/comments/48oxn4/worx_on_personalwork_phone/
    And this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Citrix/comments/42i62y/with_xenmobile_mdm_what_exactly_can_my_employer/?

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have to have MobileIron installed on my phone for work access. It adds several profiles to the phone which give permission to do things like scan installed apps, remotely wipe the phone, monitor Internet traffic and several others. My workplace claims they do not use any of these features with the exception of remote wipe should I report to them that the phone is lost (or if my employment should end). I don't have much of a choice, however, if I want to access work email/calendar/contacts...

11. HEK Suspended

HEK

Time for a second phone just for work. This snooping b cause we want to is getting ridiculous. Consider a second phone just for work a necessary expense for job. Maybe an SE. It's bad enough NSA seeing all you do, type, call. Now work thinks they entitled to do same.

Sure they make it under guise of security for them and allowing access. But that's partly a sham. Smells like a duck,swims like a duck, walk like a duck, quacks like a duck.......yeah it's a duck.

12. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

yeah what mostly concerns me is the "record audio" part, basically it could record anything that happens within my own walls and sends it to them??? creepy as f

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

So is this a profile or something like that?

14. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

yes and there is also a google account i cant delete. i noticed it syncs the search history, youtube search results etc. to said google account. i pretty much only use it for directions now and will continue to use my own iPhone. I would actually turn it off cuz i dont trust the "sound recording" bit i mentioned before but i forgot the sim password and the letter is at work. so i put it under a pillow in my closet now :D

15. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Always a good idea to use your work phone for work only if you don't want to risk any private information being discovered by your employer. If you can't delete the google account you should still be able to turn off access in each of the apps like youtube.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

As you have your own phone I think you're pretty safe. I'd continue to just use the work phone, for work.

17. ielessar macrumors regular

Check in Setting > General > Profiles and see what profiles are installed. This can probably be an MDM software.

18. itsray macrumors 6502

i have a job where my company provides me with an iPad air 2. the only thing they monitor is the apps you put on it. anything "not authorized" we get an email about asking us to remove it. thats all. anything other than that like using safari or anything else other than downloads is not monitored.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Could you not be bothered by reading all 16 posts before your before posting?