Would 128GB be enough for Logic pro x ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m3ntal, Aug 21, 2016.

1. m3ntal macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, i just found this forum and i thought i could find the answer here as google is not helpful at all :/

I would like to buy a Macbook pro for music production and the thing is that i dont know if 128GB of HDD would be enough for Logic and virtual instruments (Synthesisers, sample packs, audio files, etc) i will be using Logic very intensively with multiple audio/midi tracks, multiple virtual instruments being open at once and lots of automation etc.

Originally, i wanted to go for the 15'' Macbook as i seen it for £1600, but as a student i gotta save money, therefore i customized the 13'' in a way that is £200 cheaper but includes 16Gb of ram and the I7 processor which i think is essential for intensive production.

I just cant get my head around the HDD size, im sure the actual operating system and programs like logic pro takes some of the space already.
    Could the speed also be affected by the HDD ?

aah, i need help

Thanks xD

2. UndercoverDotNetGuy macrumors newbie

I would say no, but since you are on the budget.

You could manage with 128GB version + external HDD(from 3rd party)

3. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

If you're a student, you should be eligible for education discount, if not, you can always buy refurb (which is as good as new).

I got my refurb 15" rMBP (specs in sig) for £1349.

4. recurrence macrumors member

If you're doing music production, make sure you've got 1TB trust me. You're gonna have so many samples on disc that you need the terabyte. Komplete alone is like 300 GB.

5. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I got the 128GB MacBook Pro and i also got a 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive off Amazon for $30. It's a SanDisk ultra fit.

Read/Write speeds aren't too bad. I store most of my files on it.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The i7 will make no difference to you it's just a slightly faster dual core processor with an extra 1mb on cache not worth the money to upgrade, the ram is needed for lots of tacks etc though. I would say you would struggle with less 512gb to be honest.

If you want a quad core machine the 15 inch is the only option.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

if you get a 128GB laptop, you will be looking for ways to carry additional storage, whether its an SD card, or portable drive. If you can swing it, I'd look to get a larger drive